HEADLINES in Brief

By SARAH BINGLER

Technology

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the… Technology

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the Internet’s key oversight agency, has proposed an “xxx” domain for pornography Web sites. The use of the domain would be voluntary, but it would require Web sites using the new domain to comply with a new set of terms. The labeling system is intended to help combat child pornography and pornography-related spam.

Erin: I think that it is important to have some sort of regulation of online pornography. While I still believe in free speech, it is also essential to provide a labeling system that will caution parents and children from porn sites. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve received e-mail spam or pop-ups promoting pornography Web sites. Now, when someone types the “xxx” domain at the end of a Web site address, it is clear that he is viewing this material on a voluntary basis. It is no different from the “xxx” labeling of adult bookstores.

The only problem I foresee is that because the Internet is a worldwide forum, it will be hard to regulate what is pornography by any one standard. And of course, because the regulation is not from the government, participation is voluntary. This labeling system is not going to be the end of pornography-related spam and creepy pedophiles, but at least it is a start.

Sarah: People will always find a way to get what they want, even if it’s Internet porn. I don’t think the domain name matters. If creating an online “red light district” is what they’re after, then having a uniform domain name like “xxx” is smart – only if it’s the rule, rather than an option for sites with pornographic content.

If creating a porn domain is going to be a comprehensive way to battle child pornography and monitor for illegal content, then it’s not such a bad idea. For the people concerned that this proposal might restrict their first amendment rights, it shouldn’t be a problem – as long as they aren’t violating any laws. And for the proponents of creating a “xxx” domain, whose support is rooted in frustration at “accidentally” stumbling upon explicit content, you might soon be out of excuses when your wife catches you looking at pictures of Britney Spears going commando.

Politics

President Bush is planning to announce his new war plan, which is calling for the addition of as many as 20,000 troops to Iraq, by Wednesday. The plan has already come under sharp criticism from the new Democratic leadership in Congress, as well as some of the current military leadership.

Erin: I, for one, am overjoyed that the new congressional leadership is taking some early action against President Bush’s plans to escalate the troops in Iraq. I understand the president’s intentions: He is hoping that by escalating the troops, we can quell some of the violence that is currently preventing the Iraqi government and military from stabilizing. In theory, this idea works perfectly. The only problem is that we’ve done it before, and it hasn’t worked. Bush escalated troops this summer, only to observe record deaths in the following months.

We’ve reached the point now where it is our responsibility to begin to hand over military control to the Iraqi government, whether they are ready or not. The war in Iraq will never become the victory that our optimistic president is still hoping for. And although he has admitted that we are not winning the war, I fear the word “lose” will never enter his vocabulary. Thankfully, we now have a new Congress that is able to look at our situation in Iraq without agenda or relentless optimism.

Sarah: I once was the owner of an expensive white sweater that had a tragic run-in with some mediocre red wine. In a desperate attempt to save this sweater from becoming a donation, I set out to remove the stain. Acting quickly, rather than thoughtfully, I began a series of wash cycles to remove the stain. When a little soap didn’t remove the stain, I increased the amount of detergent. I kept using more and more soap until it was clear that the soap wasn’t going to get the stain out. In fact, I used so much soap, I had to run the sweater through a few extra rinse cycles just to get all that soap out of the sweater. I went through two rolls of quarters that day.

In my haste, I forgot to read the care tag. It was a dry-clean-only sweater. My sweater was not only ruined by the stain, but also by my neglect to read the instructions. I should have taken the time to investigate the situation, rather than acting hastily and greedily. I was out quarters and an expensive sweater. I should have just let the dry cleaners, people wiser and more experienced than myself, take care of the sweater.

Some things are a lost cause and sometimes you have to cut your losses and give up your Iraq – er, I mean sweaters – to Goodwill.

Education

Want to go to MIT? Well, now you can – for free. Forget the stress of applying to college. The OpenCourseWare movement – created at the prestigious New England university – made course content available online for free for anyone. By the end of the year, all 1,800 courses offered at MIT will be available without restriction.

Erin: The OCW program is really an amazing achievement for what it is intended to be: a worldwide information sharing service. I think it’s great that universities are no longer keeping their teaching methods and class material a secret. So what if we can see what they are doing in astrophysics at MIT? It doesn’t make MIT any less prestigious or groundbreaking. It is also helpful for all of the people worldwide who don’t have access to the information that we have in the United States.

But, as a substitute for education, I think we can all agree that watching podcasts of MIT lectures is not the same as earning an MIT degree. There is a lot more to learning than sitting in a lecture hall. Participation, teacher input and practical experience – all of which are difficult to do via the Internet – are important in grasping the material of a class. At its best, hopefully, this program will entice more people to attend college and will foster the growth of a worldwide education collaboration, where we learn from other countries and they learn from us.

Sarah: They call it “intellectual philanthropy,” but I just call it smart. Sure, users won’t walk away with a degree from MIT, but if the information they absorb from this program enables them to improve their lives or their communities in any sort of way, then it’s a success.

Too often, high-quality education comes with a price tag that bars many from participating. I believe that through education, anything can be accomplished. Sound idealistic? Yeah, it is, but the sad truth is that many people don’t even understand the roots of some of our biggest problems. So, if making course material available online enables people to learn the difference between Sunni, Shi’ite and Sufi Muslims, then it’s a huge accomplishment in the proliferation of knowledge.

Can people get an education without the benevolence of these intellectual philanthropists? Yes, and many people are already proactive in acquiring knowledge. MIT’s program is just making it easier.