Officials’ salaries increase

By ANNIE TUBBS

Some University administrators, faculty and staff received news of an early present this… Some University administrators, faculty and staff received news of an early present this holiday season.

That present is a pay raise.

According to an article in the University Times, Pitt trustees increased Chancellor Mark Nordenberg’s salary to $442,500 – an increase of 3.5 percent from last year.

Other administrators also received raises, according to the University Times.

Amy K. Marsh, treasurer and chief investment officer, received a 43 percent raise to $300,000.

Executive Vice Chancellor Jerome Cochran received a 4 percent raise on his base salary to bring his earnings to $312,000.

B. Jean Ferketish, secretary to the Board of Trustees, received an increase of 5.9 percent to bring her salary to $180,000.

Senior Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences and Dean of the School of Medicine Arthur S. Levine’s salary increased 3.8 percent, hiking his salary to $675,000.

James V. Maher, senior vice chancellor and provost, had his salary increased to $332,500 – an increase of 4.4 percent.

Arthur G. Ramicone, vice chancellor for budget and controller, received a 6.5 percent raise to bring his salary to $245,000.

In addition to the pay raises, trustees approved a $60,000 “annual salary supplement” for Cochran, according to the University Times.

Nordenberg also received five “annual deferred retention incentive payments.” The University times said that “the five-year bonus program will give Nordenberg $75,000 for each year of service from July 1, 2002, through June 2007,” assuming he continues to hold his job as chancellor.

Nordenberg said that “almost 20 percent of faculty and more than 20 percent of staff got a raise of more than 5 percent,” according to the article.