Calliope to bring The Wailin’ Jennys on Saturday

By NICOLE DIMARIO

The Wailin’ Jennys

Calliope Concert Series

Carnegie Lecture Hall…

The Wailin’ Jennys

Calliope Concert Series

Carnegie Lecture Hall

Saturday, 8 p.m.

$28.00

(412) 394-3353

Already taking Australia, the United Kingdom and Canada by storm with its strong vocals and beautiful harmonies, the folk group The Wailin’ Jennys will perform Saturday as part of the Calliope Concert Series.

Called “the Dixie Chicks of folk music,” this Canadian trio made up of soprano Ruth Moody, mezzo Nicky Mehta and alto Annabelle Chvostek combines folk music with country and Celtic.

Utilizing instruments that include the banjo, harmonica, fiddle, mandolin and acoustic guitar, each member of The Wailin’ Jennys brings a unique element to the group both vocally and instrumentally, all of which blend smoothly to create its overall appeal.

The group started in 2002, when solo artists Moody, Mehta and the third original member, Cara Luft, joined together on stage in a guitar shop. Based on their promise of success, the shop owner suggested they go on tour. In 2004, Chvostek joined the group, replacing Luft when she left to pursue a solo career.

In 2005, The Wailin’ Jennys’ 40 Days won a Juno Award – a Canadian music award – for Best Roots and Traditional Album in the group category. The trio is following up its success with a new album, Firecracker, which strongly features the women’s clever songwriting ability, delicate vocal harmonies and individual instrumental abilities.

Now on a cross-continental tour, this captivating trio is gaining rave reviews and fans wherever it goes.

The Wailin’ Jennys is third in Calliope’s 2006-2007 concert series. Currently celebrating its 30th year, Calliope is a nonprofit organization dedicated to contemporary and traditional folk music.

To order tickets, call (412) 394-3353 or go to www.proartstickets.org.