Nonfiction fest begins

By NICOLE DiMARIO

412 Creative Nonfiction Festival

Through Saturday

Various events

Free with Pitt I.D…. 412 Creative Nonfiction Festival

Through Saturday

Various events

Free with Pitt I.D.

(412) 394-3353

The 412 Creative Nonfiction Festival, a literary event that will join local editors, writers and readers with national writers and publishers, starts today and runs through Saturday with a number of different events throughout Pittsburgh.

Now in its third year, this celebration of literature includes panel discussions, readings, workshops and film screenings along with many other events. Topics will focus heavily on the ethical issues writers face in their work.

Featured speakers include Pulitzer Prize-winning writer H.G. Bissinger, who is a contributing editor at Vanity Fair and author of “Friday Night Lights,” and Kathryn Harrison, author of “The Kiss.”

Lee Gutkind, editor of the journal Creative Nonfiction and festival director, started the festival in part to develop a literary event for Pittsburgh’s large writing community. Gutkind centered the event in Oakland with hopes of bringing the city together.

Although it is called the Creative Nonfiction Festival, the event features something for writers of all genres and even for non-writers. An all-day literary showcase Saturday at the Frick Fine Arts Building will include panels for poetry writers and one for writers who cross between fiction and reality.

Another discussion will focus on how writers can financially support themselves in their chosen careers. Attendees on Saturday will have the chance to meet editors from different literary magazines and talk to them about getting involved with their organizations. Also, the festival’s main focus on ethics applies to all types of writing, not just nonfiction.

The festival presents an excellent opportunity to make connections in Pittsburgh and with publishing companies in other parts of the country.

While some of the events are free, others require a ticket to enter. Tickets for students from other colleges or universities are $15 and $30 for non-students. All events for Pitt students are free.

Pitt students can register for tickets by sending an e-mail to [email protected]. Everyone else can register at www.proartstickets.org or by calling (412) 394-3353. All students must present a valid student ID.

To view a complete list of the schedule of events and for more information, go to www.creativenonfiction.org.