Filmmakers serves up array of indie gems, foreign flicks

By KRISTEN DiLEMMO

Don’t feel like negotiating the bridge to the Waterfront? No worries — Pittsburgh… Don’t feel like negotiating the bridge to the Waterfront? No worries — Pittsburgh Filmmakers offers plenty of venues to play indie, foreign or classic films.

“Gabrielle”

In this adaptation of a Joseph Conrad short story, Isabelle Huppert plays a woman trapped by marriage and social restrictions. In French with English subtitles, “Gabrielle” partially relies upon cinematography to let the story unfold.

Opens Aug. 25 at the Harris Theatre

“Monty Python and The Holy Grail”

If you have yet to uncover the migratory pattern of coconuts, check out “Monty Python and The Holy Grail” immediately. The comedic classic is a college-student must, and the new print might just make the shoestring budget look a mite less obvious.

Aug. 25-31 at Regent Square

“Mothra”

What happens when you mix atomic testing, musical fairies and the director of “Godzilla?” A giant bug (obviously) and a romping good time. Going along with the disaster-movie theme that giant animals are hell-bent, “Mothra” follows a massive moth as it smashes and spins cocoons to its heart’s content.

Aug. 27 only at Regent Square

“Army of Shadows”

Made in France in 1969, “Army of Shadows” has only just arrived in the United States. A man in the French Resistance escapes from the occupying Germans, reuniting with his comrades with a display of subdued yet marked heroism.

Opens Sept. 1 at Regent Square

“Strangers with Candy”

If you loved the TV show, the prequel to “Strangers with Candy” features the same cast (including Stephen Colbert and Amy Sedaris) from back in the day. Sedaris plays a 46-year-old high-school freshman with a relentless tendency to stir up scandal.

Sept. 8-10 at the Melwood Theatre

“Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” with Devil Music Ensemble live

Horror nuts can’t afford to miss “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde,” the 1920 adaptation of Stevenson’s novella. Creepy imagery abounds as Jekyll’s alter ego terrorizes London, and the Devil Music Ensemble will provide an eerie score for the silent film.

Sept. 23 only at Regent Square

Check out www.pghfilmmakers.org for more information.