New fall films flex their tattooed biceps, murder mysteries

By KRISTEN DiLEMMO

No, it’s not quite the season for Oscar contenders, but at least the springtime slumps are… No, it’s not quite the season for Oscar contenders, but at least the springtime slumps are long gone. Before you’re buried beneath a pile of homework, check out the lineup of cinematic distractions coming in September.

Sept. 8

“Hollywoodland”

Directed by Allen Coulter (“The Sopranos”), “Hollywoodland” mixes conspiracy theories with good old-fashioned detective work. Based on the real-life mystery of George Reeves’ death, “Hollywoodland” follows a private detective (Adrien Brody) as he investigates the circumstances behind the “Superman” star’s demise. Ben Affleck has some big shoes to fill as Reeves, and Diane Lane recalls her performance in “Unfaithful” by slipping once again into the role of a sexy-yet-adulterous wife.

“Lucky You”

When $5 buy-ins just aren’t cutting it, why not move to Vegas and make a career out of gambling? Directed by Curtis Hanson (“L.A. Confidential”), “Lucky You” pits a hotshot poker player (Eric Bana) against a blossoming and troubled romance. While a major tournament should captivate most of his attention, the appearance of his father (Robert Duvall) and personal troubles with his girl (Drew Barrymore) threaten to knock down the house of cards. Fifty bucks says poker and melodrama don’t mix.

September 15

“The Guardian”

As if “Annapolis” didn’t do the trick, more blatant propaganda is on its way with “The Guardian.” A legend of Coast Guard stats (Kevin Costner) takes a cocky, green recruit under his wing (Ashton Kutcher) to teach him all about being brave and self-sacrificing. Expect dramatic near-drowning episodes, bursts of patriotism and pounding rock music as rescues are underway.

“The Black Dahlia”

As if one Hollywood murder story isn’t enough, “The Black Dahlia” rounds out the theme by adapting James Ellroy’s novel about the grisly slaying of actress Elizabeth Short. Officer Bucky — yes, Bucky — Bleichert (Josh Hartnett) and his partner (Aaron Eckhart) investigate the crime against the backdrop of 1940s film noir and smoldering sensuality. For the latter element, enter Scarlett Johansson as Bucky’s squeeze.

September 22

“Huo Yuan Jia” (“Fearless”)

Jet Li has sworn off martial arts films (in the same way that athletes retire from their gigs?), so “Huo Yuan Jia” is your last chance to see the star of meticulously choreographed fight scenes. Based on a true story, “Huo Yuan Jia” follows the life of the most famous fighter in late-19th century China. The titular character faced a challenge from Western fighters to prove the strength of martial arts, and here he’s bound to do so with absolutely gorgeous hyperbole.

“All the King’s Men”

One part democratic cheer, a dash of triumphing over adversity, a smidgen of political corruption — it worked in 1949, so why not give it another go? The remake of “All the King’s Men” stars Sean Penn as Southern populist Willie Stark (based loosely on Governor Huey Long of Louisiana). What starts as a grass-roots movement gradually gets lost in corruption (how astonishing) during Stark’s rise to power. “All the King’s Men” also stars Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Anthony Hopkins.

September 29

“Children of Men”

Nothing makes for a good time quite like a good dystopia movie. Director Alfonso Cuaron (“Y tu mama tambien”) shifts the scene to 2027, when mankind has no hope of procreation save for a single pregnant woman (Claire-Hope Ashitey). A rebel of sorts (Julianne Moore) enlists the help of Theodore Faron (Clive Owen) to transport the woman to a sanctuary where she and the baby might safely ensure the future of the species. If you’re thinking it’s mighty strange to imagine the planet having an under-population problem, start suspending that disbelief now.