Pitt-MSU change time

By ALAN SMODIC

Pitt has a game scheduled for Sept. 16 with the Michigan State Spartans at Heinz Field. No… Pitt has a game scheduled for Sept. 16 with the Michigan State Spartans at Heinz Field. No problem.

The Pirates, however, also have a game scheduled right across the street at PNC Park against the New York Mets. And it’s shortstop Jack Wilson bobblehead night. Now that poses a problem.

The two parties, though, came to a resolution, and Pitt’s game time will be moved from the original 3:30 p.m. to a noon kickoff.

“In our previous five seasons at Heinz Field, we had dealt with two scheduling conflicts,” athletics director Jeff Long said. “In each case, cooperation between all of the parties involved created a resolution that ensured an enjoyable experience for the fans attending games at both Heinz Field and PNC Park.”

Long was referring to games in the past two seasons, against Ohio in 2004 and Notre Dame last year, in which the Pirates had switched a game time to cooperate with the Panthers.

With the Wilson bobblehead night scheduled, though, the Pirates expect a crowd of at least 30,000 for the 7:05 game and didn’t want to switch the time.

“I am very pleased that once again we have been able to arrive at a positive resolution,” Long said. “It was truly a collaborative effort, and I want to acknowledge the cooperation we received from the Stadium and Exhibition Authority, Big East Conference, ABC and ESPN.

“Additionally, we appreciate Michigan State’s flexibility and cooperation while this matter was being resolved.”

The Pitt game, which was to be televised regionally on ABC, will now be seen on select ABC affiliates in Michigan and Pennsylvania as well as other parts of the nation on ESPN2 as part of a regional telecast with the already-scheduled game between Boston College and BYU.

“Since May 31, when we learned that ABC had selected the Pitt-Michigan State game for a 3:30 p.m. broadcast, we have been working quietly and constructively with the network and the Big East Conference to find a resolution to the conflict,” Long said.

Pitt also had another scheduling conflict for its Nov. 25 game against Louisville at Heinz Field. The date forced the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League to hold its four football championship games there one day earlier.