Keeping the balance between excess and scarcity

By SARAH BINGLER

You spent the summer making trips to Target and Wal-Mart, collecting all the necessary… You spent the summer making trips to Target and Wal-Mart, collecting all the necessary things for chic college dorm life. Retro comforter with matching sheets and lamp shade? Check. Collapsible hamper and drying rack? Check. Tricked out North Face backpack and matching Nalgene? Check. Flip-flops for the shower? Check. Duct tape — even though you’re not “supposed to” have it? Double check.

Well, you probably have all the tools you need, but what do you do with them when you finally get here? And how, exactly, do Rubbermaid containers full of stuff translate into a successful and fun college experience?

Balance. Finding the happy place between excess and scarcity is the key to making your college years full and productive. So how can you have your Dave and Andy’s and eat it too?

Here are some helpful tips for keeping it real and doing really well:

Get a planner. Yeah, it’s kinda nerdy, but it’s amazing how easily you can forget a quiz or a homework assignment when you’re trying to manage your academic and social life.

Try to keep some sort of order to your living area. I am NOT suggesting that you keep your room spotless. A messy room and an unmade bed are some of the perks of being your own boss. If you maintain some sort of system for all of your “stuff,” you’ll spend less time digging around your dorm room and more time out working the student body.

Your roommate might not be ideal, but talk to her. I’ve had many roommates, but no matter how different or similar we were, good communication has always helped to avoid conflict and misunderstandings. You may not like what your roommate is about, but it helps to know where she’s coming from.

You can’t spend every free hour studying, no matter how cool Hillman is. Your parents might disagree with me on this one, but you don’t want to burn out and catch senioritis too early.

Your new friends become your support structure and family. Take care of each other. Make time to catch up, even if you’re really busy. You can integrate hanging out with study breaks or group study sessions.

Create traditions. Pick a night to do something with your friends and do it every week. For three years I had dinner every Thursday night with a group of friends from home. It’s nice to have something solid to look forward to and it keeps you in touch with each other.

You’ve heard horror stories about freshmen hitting the keg harder than the books and failing out. Despite what your parents might say, going to parties is not going to land you a spot behind the counter at McDonald’s for the next 30 years. Take time to have fun and let loose, but make sure you’re on top of your work before you check out for the night.

Find a group that you believe in and get involved. It’s a better excuse for not studying than beer pong.

Discover things that you have always been curious about, but have never had the opportunity to do so before — as long as its not drugs, unprotected sex and underage drinking. If you do those things, I don’t want to know.

When you do study, find a place on campus and make it yours. Go there with a cup of coffee and get in the zone. You’ll be more productive if you’re out of your room, away from distractions.

After a day of unloading my life into a little pie-shaped room in Tower A four years ago, mom hugged me and gave me these words of wisdom: “Sarah, I might not always like what you do, but I love who you are. Have fun, but don’t be stupid.”

Grades are important, it’s why we’re here, but living a full and balanced life is the key to getting the most out of your college years.

Sarah is not responsible for any adverse affects of her advice. E-mail her at [email protected].