Friends don’t let friends walk home alone late at night

By ADAM FLEMING

Before you came to Pitt and the city that surrounds it, your mom probably gave you a laundry… Before you came to Pitt and the city that surrounds it, your mom probably gave you a laundry list of safety issues to worry about. Well guess what: She was right.

Pitt’s campus isn’t ordinary. It’s an urban environment full of partying students, angry drivers and everyday people trying to go about their business. If you’re not careful, you could get swept up in the hustle and bustle of gritty city life. So here are a few handy rules to live by for staying safe at school.

Travel in numbers.

Whether you’re heading to South Oakland for some Saturday night partying or Downtown to catch a show, it’s always safer to go with a crowd. There’s no need to be paranoid, but there’s nothing wrong with roaming in a pack. Don’t be foolish, though, and think that friends guarantee safety. Staying safe means staying smart, but not scared. Drink responsibly, or not at all.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to have a good time. There are many things wrong with having a good time at the expense of your safety, or when what you’re doing is against the law. Alcohol can hamper your ability to function properly in the city. If you’ve been out drinking, don’t try to go home alone, and never drink and drive.

Stay connected.

Having a cell phone can be a lot of fun. It can also be of limitless assistance. If you’re lost or in trouble, don’t hesitate to call for help. Look both ways when you cross the street.

Pittsburgh has special lanes for its buses, which do not always run the same way as the streets they are on. Don’t run out into the middle of the road without looking. Wait for the walk signal and be mindful of reckless drivers. The little bit of time you spend waiting for a traffic light could one day prove to be worth it. And take off your headphones when running or walking so that you can be alert to what is going on around you.

Make use of what Pitt has to offer.

The University spends millions of dollars a year on creating a safe campus, but if you don’t use the services provided to you, it’s all for naught. Emergency phones are spread out around campus. If you’re ever in distress, just look for the nearest blue light. And rather than walk home at night, ride the Pitt shuttle. In addition to shuttles, Pitt has a program called SafeRider, which offers students point-to-point pickups and drop-offs within a certain boundary. Make sure you know the shuttles’ schedules and the hours of SafeRider or you may get left out in the cold.

Avoid poorly lit areas.

The key to safely navigating the streets of Pittsburgh is being able to see what’s ahead of and behind you. Don’t get trapped in a shady situation. Know your neighborhood and don’t go exploring late at night. Set up walking paths for yourself down major roads with proper lighting. Schenley Park closes at night for a reason. Many parts of the park are too dark and not easily patrolled by police. So avoid trouble and have fun somewhere else.

Use your head.

We couldn’t possibly list everything you need to do to stay safe here, so you’re simply going to have to remain responsible. Actively seek out information on safety. Make friends. Visit www.pitt.edu/~safety. Learn the numbers for the campus police and SafeRider. College should be the best years of your life. Keep them safe and you’re much more likely to make them enjoyable.