Dynamic defensive duo

By ALAN SMODIC

Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm entered his game against Pitt last season as the nation’s… Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm entered his game against Pitt last season as the nation’s leader in passer rating. He finished that game completing 21 of 31 passes for 247 yards and a Cardinal win.

But even as the nation’s best, he still shied away from Pitt’s best.

Of his 31 passes, few found their way to Darrelle Revis’ side of the football field. That was nothing new for the sophomore cornerback who had had only one touchdown scored on him thus far in his collegiate career.

“He’s a regular quarterback to me,” Revis said of Brohm after the game. “They didn’t look to my side that much. They threw over to my side a couple times, but nothing happened.”

Now, entering his junior season as a Panther, if the national preseason hype surrounding Revis means anything, his words may ring true to every quarterback the Pitt defense plays this season.

Two times this past week, Revis and his fellow defenseman, H.B. Blades, were named to a national publication’s preseason All-America team.

First, it was the 2006 Lindy’s Football Annual, and then the Athlon Sports college football annual granted the two the same honor. In both instances Revis garnered first-team status, while Blades was named to the second team.

Revis’ national reputation began to rise after the 2005 season. The Big East made him the only sophomore defender on the first-team All-Big East squad.

His efforts have also caught the eyes of scouts and personnel of teams in the NFL. Rated as one of the top defensive backs in college, the option to forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft next year will be open for Revis.

He led the Pitt defense with four interceptions and his 1.18 passes defended per game ranked 19th nationally. In addition to his defensive prowess, he also led the Big East with an 11.6-yard punt return average, including a 79-yard touchdown return against Cincinnati which was the longest in the Big East in 2005.

Blades has earned first-team All-Big East status in each of the last two seasons as well as leading the league in tackles (121), which ranked him 13th in the nation with 11 tackles per game.

Currently, Blades sits at 16th all-time at Pitt with 286 career tackles and a full 2006 season could finish him in the top five in school history.

A national reputation has been building for Blades since the 2005 season ended, too. He was also named to the Playboy All-America Team and to the watch lists for the Rotary Lombardi Award and the Lott Trophy.

The Lombardi Award is given to the country’s top down lineman, or defensive player who lines up within five yards of the football, while the Lott Trophy honors a top defensive player in college football on athletic performance and personal character.

Athlon also praised Pitt’s incoming recruiting class in the annual, ranking it the best in the Big East and 11th nationally.

Five of the recruits were listed in the magazine’s Top 100 Incoming Freshmen as well. Those honors went to tight end Nate Byham (No. 25), receiver Dorin Dickerson (No. 36), receiver Elijah Fields (No. 57), offensive lineman Joe Thomas (No. 66) and running back Kevin Collier (No. 99).

With all the praise, though, the Panthers must still prove everything on the field. Their season opens Sept. 2, with a matchup against the Virginia Cavaliers at Heinz Field.