Pitt losing streak hits seven

By MATT SORTINO

It’s hard to imagine that head coach Joe Jordano and the Panther baseball team ever saw this… It’s hard to imagine that head coach Joe Jordano and the Panther baseball team ever saw this coming. After being picked to finish second in the Big East conference, the Panthers (11-15 overall, 2-7 Big East) have slid toward the bottom of the standings after suffering their second straight conference sweep.

Last weekend it was West Virginia beating the Panthers in three straight, and this past weekend it was the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (17-8, 5-1).

Notre Dame 6, Pitt 1

The Panthers broke open a scoreless game in the fifth inning, but that was about the only thing worth cheering about in the series opener. The Fighting Irish answered with six runs over the final five frames, handing the Panthers their fifth-straight loss.

Robert Brant got the start for the Panthers in place of Billy Muldowney and Brant cruised through the first 12 outs before hitting rough waters. He allowed single runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings before the Irish tacked on three insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth. In all, the Irish tapped Brant for 11 hits and six runs. He walked and struck out two.

The Panthers got on the board in the fifth when David Cline reached on a bunt single, then stole second and advanced to third on Sean Conley’s sacrifice bunt. Jimmy Mayer then completed the small ball with a base hit up the middle. Mayer finished a perfect 4-for-4 on the night, while Jim Negrych added two hits for the Panthers.

Jeff Samardzija — of Notre Dame football fame — went eight strong innings, allowing just eight hits and one run while striking out eight Panther hitters to get the win.

Notre Dame 4, Pitt 3

The Panthers’ losing slide reached six games on Saturday afternoon when their late rally fell short against the Irish. Pitt fell behind 3-0 and 4-1, but battled back to make it 4-3 and put the tying run on base in the top of the ninth, only to fall short.

Paul Nardozzi took the loss on the mound, his second straight in Big East play, despite throwing a complete game. Nardozzi allowed 10 hits and four earned runs while striking out three.

The Irish got on the board with three runs in the second behind RBI singles by Sean Gaston and Greg Lopez. However, Nardozzi would settle down and allow the Panthers a chance to get back into the game.

In the fourth, Negrych led off the inning with a walk and later scored on a double by freshman Brian Muldowney. Then, trailing 4-1 in the eighth, the Panthers chipped away with two more scores. Conley led the inning off with a single to left and Mayer followed with a single of his own.

After relief pitcher Kyle Weiland hit Negrych with a pitch to load the bases with nobody out, Morgan Kielty drove a pitch to center for a sacrifice fly, scoring Conley. Mayer would eventually score on a wild pitch, but the Panthers would leave the bases loaded to end the inning.

In the ninth, Mayer reached with two outs but Negrych grounded out to end the game. Jeff Manship (3-1) worked seven innings, allowing one run on four hits to get the win for the Irish.

Notre Dame 9, Pitt 8

Just when it appeared that the Panthers would have a chance to salvage game three of the series, the Irish struck again. Jeremy Barnes drove home Greg Lopez and Craig Cooper with a single in the bottom of the ninth for a walk-off win as the Irish completed sweeping the Panthers.

Justin Cicatello was charged with the winning run and picked up his first loss of the season on the mound for the Panthers.

In the top of the ninth, Pitt took hold of the game with three runs for an 8-7 lead. After Dan Williams and Jeff Stevens were each hit by a pitch, Eric Chamness sacrificed them over to second and third. Cline followed with a single up the middle, scoring Williams and moving pinch-runner Rob Lawler to third. After a groundout, Mayer doubled to left center scoring Cline and Lawler, giving the Panthers the lead.

It wouldn’t last long. In the bottom of the ninth the Irish answered. After Lopez singled, he moved to second on a sac bunt by Alex Nettey. Cicatello came on and relieved Mike Bassage by intentionally walking Cooper. Another walk loaded the bases for Barnes, who played hero with the game-winning single.

Conley, Mayer and Cline each had two hits for the Panthers while Kielty drove in four runs on the day.