No geography queries from Panthers this year

By ALAN SMODIC

When the Pitt men’s basketball team found out its first-round seeding in the NCAA Tournament… When the Pitt men’s basketball team found out its first-round seeding in the NCAA Tournament last year, a few of the players didn’t know where they were headed.

Former Panther Chevon Troutman even questioned where Boise, Idaho actually was.

This year, the destination isn’t quite as far away, as the Panthers’ first round matchup is being held in Auburn Hills, Mich., against Kent State. And for one Pitt Panther, it’ll be like a trip home.

“I’m going to need some tickets,” junior Aaron Gray said shortly after the CBS Selection Sunday Show ended.

Gray, the 7-foot All-Big East selection, hails from Emmaus, Pa., but was quick to mention all his family that lives in Michigan. Everyone from cousins to aunts and uncles, he said.

“It’s definitely going to feel like a home atmosphere for me,” he added. “I’m going to have to perform well in front of my family.”

A No. 5 seed in the tournament came along with the trip to Auburn Hills for the Panthers — roughly one seed lower than what many bracket predictions had them listed after their showing in the Big East Tournament.

Pitt’s Rating Percentage Index ended the season at No. 11 — a sign the tournament selectors first look at. Its non-conference strength of schedule of 227, however, could be what led the Panthers to the five seed.

“A five seed is obviously a little bit of a surprise,” Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon said. “I thought we might be closer to a three or four seed based on our RPI, but the committee can move you up and down based on location and other teams from your conference.”

After time to think about the seeding and where Pitt is headed, senior Carl Krauser believed it really didn’t matter.

“Seeding isn’t the game,” he said. “That doesn’t matter. You still have to go out and play the game. The object is to put the ball in the hole, not worry about your seeding in the tournament.

“Just put the ball in the hole and compete.”

With that in mind, the Panthers now look to get ready for the 12th-seeded Kent State Golden Flashes (25-8), a team they know very little about from this season.

The Golden Flashes played their way into the tournament by earning the Mid-American Conference tournament for an automatic bid. The winner of the two will advance to play either the No. 4 seed Kansas (25-7) or 13th-seeded Bradley (20-10).

Outside of this season, Pitt has somewhat of a score to settle with its first-round opponent.

During the tournament in 2002, the Golden Flashes — led by now All-Pro NFL tight end Antonio Gates — upset Pitt in the Sweet 16. The Panthers, at the time, were a No. 3 seed.

Krauser remembers the game all too well.

“Whoo,” he said with a smile. “When I saw that, I knew we had to get some revenge for Brandin [Knight] and Jaron [Brown].”

As for the rest of the bracket, Memphis (30-3), UCLA (27-6) and Gonzaga (27-3) earned the one-through-three seeds, respectively. Fellow Big East member Marquette is also in the bracket as the No. 7 seed.

The UCLA Bruins provide the most intriguing possible matchup for the Panthers. It would be the first time former Pitt head coach Ben Howland would face off with his ex-team.

Krauser expressed his interest in wanting to see his old ball coach in the Elite Eight.

“I looked at that immediately,” he said. “Obviously we would need to take care of business, but I wish coach Howland the best of luck in the tournament.

“If he takes care of his business, then we’ll see him there.”