Panthers feel good in the Fitz

By ALAN SMODIC

A win Wednesday night lengthened the Pitt women’s basketball season at least one more game…. A win Wednesday night lengthened the Pitt women’s basketball season at least one more game. And fortunately for the Panthers, it’s another home game.

Well, sort of.

Because of a national high school wrestling tournament scheduled in the Petersen Events Center, the Panthers will play their second consecutive Women’s NIT game inside the Fitzgerald Field House.

After her players’ performance inside the 55-year-old gymnasium against Ole Miss, head coach Agnus Berenato welcomes the temporary change.

“None of us had ever been there before and seen the building as a basketball court,” she said. “I heard from a lot of people that they were thrilled to be able to come back and relive some memories in this building.

“We’re going to keep it going then.”

Pitt (21-10) defeated the Lady Rebels, 85-76, Wednesday, setting up the quarterfinal matchup with the Virginia Cavaliers tonight in the Field House at 7 p.m.

In the game, guard Shavonte Zellous recorded the first double-double of her career, posting 11 points and 10 rebounds, while Mallorie Winn achieved a career-high in points with 27.

Winn joined her coach in expressing the good feelings about the Fitzgerald Field House.

“It was fun,” she said. “It was different. The crowd is a lot closer to you. It made the whole feeling of the game different.”

When asked whether or not she enjoyed playing in the old-school gymnasium as opposed to the Petersen Events Center, Zellous was quick to respond.

“I do,” she said. But before she could continue, Berenato chimed in with praise for the guard.

“Well she just had her first double-double,” Berenato said. “Good answer.”

Home-court advantage continues through the end of the WNIT for whichever team secures it, and according to Ole Miss head coach Carol Ross, if that team is Pitt, then they’ve definitely got a shot to go all the way.

“When you can get a home game in March, that’s critically important,” Ross said. “It’s good to see they can get the support to keep it here. They haven’t left campus and generally the champions of the WNIT rarely do.

“If their fans will come out and those bids keep going out, they can secure it.”

Dating back through history, the Pitt women’s basketball team holds a career 225-143 record in the Fitzgerald Field House – 1-0 under Berenato. Its size comes nowhere near the Petersen Events Center, holding more than 8,000 fewer people.

According to Pitt’s Cheron Taylor, though, that’s what makes playing there so much fun.

“The interaction with fans is there,” Taylor said. “In the Pete, you feel so far away from them, but on this court they are right there beside you. It really makes you feel like you’ve got to get things going.”

Zellous added that when the fans chant “Let’s go Pitt,” she can feel the bumps in the bleachers.

To make this known, Berenato spoke to the crowd immediately following the win over Ole Miss. She requested they tell everyone they know and expects to see the top bleachers – not just the bottom seats – filled for Friday’s game.

“I’ve been trying to sell this team to everyone,” she said. “I feel we’ve got a great product to sell and we’re trying to get as many people out to see us play as possible. We really appreciate the support.”

The game tonight with Virginia is one of four that will decide the final four teams of the WNIT. And three games in eight days for a national championship is what Berenato was stressing to her players.

“We have had a magical year, but I don’t think they’re ready for this to be over,” Berenato said. “I really believe in this team, and I know they look at me like I’m crazy, but I really do.”