Oh come on, grow up, Pitt

By BRANDON EDMONDS

Maturity is a very complex word. The dictionary defines it as the state of or quality of being… Maturity is a very complex word. The dictionary defines it as the state of or quality of being mature; fully or highly developed, perfected, worked out and in a state of full development.

As obtuse as this might sound, it seems that the older I get the more I encounter immaturity in others. It amazes me every day how men and women nearly two decades old can still behave like children and find that behavior acceptable.

Yes, I’m venting in this column; however, perhaps you’ll sympathize – the immaturity of college-age individuals must end now.

As children, we are taught to value maturity and to act as adults would in conflict resolution, in issues of principle and in the way we carry ourselves publicly. By not teaching children to be mature and not holding them accountable for immaturity, we indirectly endorse immaturity in adults.

As a child, you may or may not have sought to act in a mature manner. However, as an adult, you shouldn’t have a choice.

Backbiting, lying and just overall shadiness should be things of the past by our age. There should be no more crying over who didn’t get picked first, who did what and who is not listening to you. We’re two months into the new year; let’s all make a late resolution to be adults about our stuff.

In an effort to help us all out, I’ve composed a list of the top five most immature and inappropriate behaviors I’ve observed in college-educated individuals.

1) Pouting, in all of its forms – crying, whining, giving the silent treatment – is unacceptable. As a college student, you should be able to communicate your ideas effectively, thus making whining a thing of the past.

2) Fighting. You are adults, people! Leave all that street stuff on the street; get your education and stop messing up good parties and events.

3) Disrespecting others. It’s amazing to me how people complain about not receiving enough respect when they don’t show respect for anyone else. Show respect, receive respect; it’s as simple as that. Stop the cycle of disrespect.

4) Gossip. If it ain’t your business, stay out of it. If you aren’t directly involved, how can you claim to know what’s going on? Just mind your business, people.

5) Lying. Stop lying. It’s just plain wrong. Be honest about everything, including your dirt. If you get caught doing something shady, own up to it. It’s so much easier.

Furthermore, people need to understand that the world is not centered on them; the people involved in their lives are not members of Destiny’s Child – these people are not here to Cater 2 U. It’s a joke, people-laugh!

As sad and disappointing as it might be for many of you to hear or read this, You can’t always get your way! Depressing, I know, but true. When it comes to working in groups with other individuals, the greater good as well as the will of the masses has to be taken into account during decision-making. It is impractical for any group to cater to how any individual person feels. The same applies in interpersonal situations.

It is important that people understand the importance of being mature in their personal lives, as well. For someone to pout because he feels like you might be keeping a secret from him or you aren’t involving him in your life in the manner in which he’d like to be involved is ridiculous.

Moreover, people, please stop basing your opinions and decisions on gossip and rumors. I have encountered too many instances – with both sexes – where someone heard something that so-and-so said or did that either was not the case at all or was taken completely out of context. Let’s all be mature about ourselves and communicate rather than bitching when we think there might be problems.

Don’t get me wrong; we should all take time to celebrate the child inside each of us. We cannot, however, do this at the expense of the adults we are to become or, in many cases, should be already. We must strive for maturity in all that we do and hold all those around us to the same expectations. Maybe I’m not taking into account all the factors that could possibly contribute to immaturity in a grown individual. Maybe he didn’t have any friends as a child and is not used to interacting maturely with his peers. Maybe he was an only child and as a result was spoiled by his parents. Or maybe these people are just crazy.

Whatever the case may be, it’s up to us – the last of the sane and rational – to preserve maturity for the generations to come. Because let’s face it, Pittsburgh, if we aren’t mature, who will be?

Share anecdotes about your encounters with the immature – e-mail them to Brandon Edmonds at [email protected].