Pitt instructor compares gameday routine to sex

By MARQUELLE MATTHEWS

There is a sign on the door of a third-floor suite in Brackenridge Hall that reads “Steeler… There is a sign on the door of a third-floor suite in Brackenridge Hall that reads “Steeler Country.”

As you enter, you notice at least 50 black and gold paper-mache streamers hanging from the ceiling in the living room. The cupboards in the kitchenette are covered with various newspaper articles and photos. As you venture into the farthest bedroom, you see Steelers paraphernalia scattered throughout – beaded necklaces, jerseys and blankets, not to mention the three different Terrible Towels that drape the walls.

Her name is Casey Rubenstein and she has a problem. She’s addicted to the Steelers.

“It’s a Pittsburgh thing,” Rubenstein said, when asked why she loves the Steelers so much.

Rubenstein, a sophomore, said she loves all sports, but has been a devoted Steelers fan since she was 6 years old. Ever since she can remember, her family has had season tickets, so her love for the team is rooted in tradition.

“Pittsburgh sports add enthusiasm to the city,” she said. “There are so many different ethnicities and races, but the one thing everyone has in common is the Steelers.”

Rubenstein is not alone; there are many others who feel a connection with a particular sports team or sport, according to Pitt teaching fellow Spencer Foster. Foster said it’s normal behavior for fans to get so immersed in a game. In fact, it would be unusual if they didn’t.

Foster said that fans put a lot of psychological and physical energy into a live game, which is understandable considering all the rituals involved. There is tailgating, introduction of the teams, kickoff, quarters and halves, scoring, turnovers, the final rush at the end of the game and then the post-game coverage.

“It is a lot like sex: anticipation, foreplay, intercourse, orgasm and post-coitus cuddling and pillow talk,” he said. “And like sex, sometimes it is intensely enjoyable and other times it can be a huge letdown, but for the most part it is just plain fun.”

Foster said there are three main reasons fans are attracted to sports – the illusion of sports engages the emotions; the suspense of not knowing who is going to win or lose engages the intellect; and identification with a team, especially a local one, engages the spirit.

“There’s a vicarious experience that makes sports compelling,” Foster said. “Where else can you experience often brutal, physical activity and hazard and not suffer some consequences for it?”

He also said sports bring about group patriotism. All fans belong to something, so in a way, sports serve as a unifying device. This is especially true in Pittsburgh.

Foster said he is always amazed at the vast knowledge that Steelers fans, men and women, have.

“The Steelers are not just a team, they are our team and that feeling and loyalty follow Pittsburgh natives wherever they go,” Foster said.

Another reason people are drawn to sports – according to Miami University of Ohio psychology professor, Beth Dietz-Uhler – is because they have a need to be a part of a group. If that group is successful, like the Steelers, then it’s even easier for people to identify with them.

“People have a fundamental need to belong,” she said. “It is no surprise that people tend to identify with their hometown team. It gives them a sense of belonging and community when those in close proximity are cheering for the same team.”

Another reason people connect with sports teams is to acquire social status, according to an article from the International Sports Journal by Dietz-Uhler, Christian M. End and Jeff M. Kretschmar.

Through research, they found that college students perceive “being a sports fan” as a factor in male and female popularity. They also found that sports fans are not always seen in a positive light. Sometimes fandom is likened to laziness because it is a passive activity.