Former governor donates to HIllman, Pitt to create new collection

By LISA CUNNINGHAM

In a room where more than 5,000 records, cassettes and CDs once sat, the shelves now stand… In a room where more than 5,000 records, cassettes and CDs once sat, the shelves now stand empty as new changes await the space.

The Stark Collection of the Stark Listening Center has been moved from its first floor room in the Hillman Library to the Media Services Center on the ground floor.

The room is in transition, and will become the Thornburgh Room, which is named after former Pennsylvania governor Dick Thornburgh, who is actively involved with the entire remodeling process.

According to Fern Brody, the associate University librarian, it will be a reading room with a large monitor that will display images of Thornburgh onto a large glass wall. Also, collections of awards, photos and papers from his large archive will be on rotating exhibit in the room; some of which will be visible through clear table surfaces. It will also have chairs and other tables where students can study.

Brody thinks that the room will be a good, quiet study space for students. She also said that the room will be very inviting to students, instead of creating an off-limits vibe.

“I’m happy it’ll be so see-through. It’ll be more obvious that you can go in,” Brody said. “It’s also a chance to highlight Mr. Thornburgh’s life.”

The Stark Collection was moved because it was not shelved efficiently – record shelves had to house not only records, but CDs and cassettes as well. Also, people were not really using the room for listening purposes anymore, according to Brody.

The Stark Collection began in 1958 with a donation from Karl Stark and his family. According to Jim Kirby, who is in charge of the Stark Collection, it was intended to be a compilation of spoken arts. The collection now includes audible poetry, Shakespearean plays, 1950s radio broadcasts and language instruction tapes.

“It came about at a time when a lot of research libraries didn’t have the funds for spoken word. It was a new idea, and [the Starks] were generous to donate,” Brody explained.

Currently, the library is looking for CD upgrades of the works that they have on vinyl.

Although the collection is no longer on display, students are still welcome to use it by consulting with someone in the Media Services Center.

The dedication of the Thornburgh Room will take place on April 28.