University lobbies capital for cash

By SARAH BINGLER

The University sent representatives to Harrisburg, Pa., yesterday to request an increase in… The University sent representatives to Harrisburg, Pa., yesterday to request an increase in funding for Pitt from state leaders.

Alumni, students, parents and administration travel to the state’s capitol annually to update the state on happenings at Pitt.

Representatives of the University, both official and not, spent the day meeting with legislators and lobbying for an increase in funding.

Student Government Board member Jennifer Anukem traveled with the delegation to Harrisburg. She hopes to help the state government understand why Pitt needs increased funding.

Anukem said that she was honored to represent Pitt and that legislators were eager to hear what students had to say.

“They want to hear the student perspective. One thing I was able to convey was my experience with people who had to leave Pitt because tuition went up. I know people who are maxed-out on loans and just can’t do it anymore,” Anukem said.

Anukem explained that as state funding decreases, Pitt compensates by fundraising. When fundraising efforts fall short of compensating for funding decreases, Pitt increases tuition.

Anukem said that funding has steadily fallen in the last 10 years. She believes this has caused tuition increases.

“We are becoming a better school. Pitt is making big news, yet our funding has decreased over the years,” Anukem said.

According to Anukem, Gov. Ed Rendell suggested a 4 percent increase in funding for the University, but other legislators believe that the final increase will be more than that. She added that the chancellors of similarly sized universities across Pennsylvania will gather and discuss funding.

“The chancellors are all going to get together and make a recommendation as a group,” Anukem said.

Anukem was excited by the opportunities offered to her on her trip.

“I’m learning so much, it’s so interesting,” she said. “These are bright and intelligent students coming to Pitt. These are people who could be influential to society if they just get the education.”

Anukem plans on integrating her experiences in Harrisburg into her role as governmental relations liaison for SGB.

“I would like to sponsor more events or programs and have more direct contact with legislators,” she said. “They want to have the opportunity to deal directly with students.”