Rounding the homestretch, Pitt looks like it will make a run

By ALAN SMODIC

So we’re heading into the final stretch of Pitt’s men’s basketball season and I must admit,… So we’re heading into the final stretch of Pitt’s men’s basketball season and I must admit, I’m getting very excited.

As of right now, not so many thoughts of the NCAA tournament have been going through my head, though, because I can’t seem to look past the Big East tournament just yet.

I know all of your anticipations have to be high for it.

Just imagine: Pitt, Connecticut, Georgetown, Villanova and West Virginia all in the same small tournament. That’s five teams battling for four semi-final spots, and I didn’t even mention the bottom teams that could pull off an upset.

What makes it better is that Pitt solidified itself among most doubters. It is gaining respect after every game.

That being said, let’s see what troubles you as the Panthers look at the final two weeks of the regular season.

Q: Did Pitt need the win over WVU to establish itself since all of their other wins over ranked teams have lost their luster?

A: To a certain extent, yeah, but I think Pitt had established itself with the other coaches already and that’s all that matters.

In terms of the West Virginia win, I think it meant more to the players.

Remember, West Virginia put the Panthers away twice last year, fighting back from deficits in each game.

What it did, too, was boost their confidence on the defensive side of the ball. If there was any doubt remaining about the Panthers, it was their ability to defend the 3-point shot.

Well, they held the Mountaineers to 53 points, including a big, fat zero from Kevin Pittsnogle.

Those point totals were more credited to an intense defense by the Panthers and not just a bad shooting night, no matter what any West Virginia fan may say otherwise.

Q: Why isn’t Keith Benjamin starting for Pitt?

A: First off, I don’t mind that he isn’t starting.

You can ask this same question each week and just plug in another name such as Levance Fields or Sam Young.

But that’s what is making Pitt so good right now – its depth.

There’s no question that Benjamin has improved on both sides of the ball from his freshman season and could easily be starting on not just Pitt, but many other teams in the NCAA as well.

However, his presence off the bench along with Fields and Young – who could also start on other teams – is far more valuable at the moment.

Just think, it’s as if the Panthers have a second starting five entering the game whenever head coach Jamie Dixon reaches for players on the bench. And that’s hurting some of the other teams at the moment, as it did to Cincinnati.

Benjamin will have his shot to start, which could come next year, but he currently is part of the reason why the Panthers are so good as a part of the deep bench.

I’m sure he knows that and is only worried about the team.

Q: Is there reason to believe that this team will make it past the Sweet 16 this year?

A: Definitely.

What is the most important thing everyone brings up in reference to success in the NCAA tournament? Guard play.

And for the first time in Pitt’s most recent run, it has guards who can, in fact, play.

With Carl Krauser, Ronald Ramon, Antonio Graves and the aforementioned Fields and Benjamin, Pitt goes five deep at the guard position and all receive significant playing each game.

They are tested as well. Their minutes are garbage minutes at the end of the game, Dixon puts them right in the thick of things and all – at one time or another – have been called upon to step up.

In those situations, each has.

Add to those guards a dominating 7-foot center in Aaron Gray and the Panthers certainly have all the tools for a run in the tournament.

Plus, they play great defense and you know what they say about great defense – it wins championships.