Edinboro downs Panthers

By ALAN SMODIC

Pitt’s 141-pound wrestler, Ron Tarquinio, couldn’t be overshadowed on his Senior Night…. Pitt’s 141-pound wrestler, Ron Tarquinio, couldn’t be overshadowed on his Senior Night.

Despite the aura surrounding Shawn Bunch and the undefeated Edinboro Fighting Scots (11-0 overall, 5-0 Eastern Wrestling League), Tarquinio picked up Pitt’s only win of the meet in what was his final match at the Fitzgerald Field House.

It wasn’t enough for a team win, as the Panthers (4-9, 2-4) fell to the Fighting Scots 29-4, but a personal recent streak of victories has Tarquinio heading into the postseason on the right track.

“It felt really good to get that win today,” Tarquinio told PittsburghPanthers.com. “The last couple of wins I have had will give me great momentum going into the postseason.”

Already down 7-0 as a team, the No. 6-ranked Tarquinio recorded a major decision over Edinboro’s Rick McLaughlin, 10-2.

Tarquinio escaped from the bottom in the second period to up his lead to 3-0, and quickly turned it into a five-point advantage with a takedown of McLaughlin.

He dominated the third period, picking up another five points while giving up a couple of escapes en route to the Panthers’ only win of the night.

“He’s definitely turned things around,” Pitt head coach Rande Stottlemyer said of Tarquinio. “He’s got a pretty good focus right now and a good idea of what he wants to be doing out there.”

The win improved Tarquinio to 18-8 on the year. He and fellow seniors Mike Ciotti and Justin Nestor were honored before the match for Senior Recognition Night.

“They’ve been a great group of kids. I’m happy for them,” Stottlemyer said of his three seniors who took the mat.

“All three of them will get their degrees and they’ve given so much to our program over the years. Hopefully, we have provided them with a great experience. Each has their own little story.”

Moments before Tarquinio earned Pitt’s only four points of the match, Bunch – the nation’s No. 1-ranked, 133-pound wrestler – proved why he’s considered the best in his class.

The returning all-American had his way with Ciotti, finishing him off the in the third period for a 15-4 major decision.

Ciotti held his ground early, though, limiting Bunch to just a 2-0 lead after one period. Two takedowns in the second period, however, propelled Bunch into a string of takedowns in the third after Ciotti escaped twice.

Bunch’s win upped his record to 31-1 on the season and 123-23 in his career at Edinboro.

“Bunch is their superstar at 133,” Stottlemyer said. “He is one heck of an athlete. Ciotti wrestled him well, but Bunch was just too tough.”

The Panthers lost the final seven matches, including six of them by a combined total of only 20 points.

Mike Heist fell at 197 pounds by one point, while the senior Nestor struggled at 165 pounds, losing to Edinboro’s Deonte Penn, 3-1. Heist held a 2-1 lead heading into the third period, but Edinboro’s Joe Fendone escaped and picked up the riding time for the victory.

Pitt’s Sean Richmond and Lou Thomas each came up a little short, losing 4-1 and 5-2, respectively. Joey Ecklof and Nick Padezan were both shut out at 6-0 and 5-0, and 184-pounder Kyle Deliere suffered a major decision loss to Alex Clemson, 17-5.

“Edinboro is real solid from top to bottom,” Stottlemyer said. “We wrestled hard, but they had the horses.

“I give Edinboro all the credit.”

The Panthers resume action March 4-5 when they participate in the EWL tournament – hosted by Edinboro – with trips to the NCAA tournament up for grabs.