Student dies after falling on stairs

By SARAH BINGLER

Pitt student Leland E. Holly IV, 23, died Friday night at a party in Greenfield.

According… Pitt student Leland E. Holly IV, 23, died Friday night at a party in Greenfield.

According to an article in the Tribune-Review, Holly fell down a flight of stairs, was picked up by friends and placed on a couch at about 4 a.m. Holly’s friends thought he was sleeping but when he had not awoke by 1 p.m. the following day, they realized that he had died.

Ed Strimlan at the Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s said that Holly’s cause of death was traumatic brain injury. According to the deputy chief of operations, acute alcohol intoxication was also a contributing cause. Holly’s death was ruled accidental.

The University released a statement, parts of it addressed to Holly’s family and friends.

“Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Mr. Holly and we want them to know that our thoughts are with them at this tragic time,” the statement read.

Holly’s viewing will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Schellhaas Funeral Home ‘ Cremation Services located at 388 Center Ave. in West View. A memorial service will follow at noon.

Editor’s note: Read The Pitt News next week for a memoriam to Holly. If you have any information or photographs you would like to contribute, please contact The Pitt News at [email protected].