Pittsburgh has many neighborhoods worth exploring

By MARQUELLE MATTHEWS

As February approaches, Pitt students become frantic. They pore over the classified ads,… As February approaches, Pitt students become frantic. They pore over the classified ads, search the Web and cruise the streets of surrounding neighborhoods, desperately seeking the perfect apartment for the next year.

But where is the best neighborhood to apartment hunt?

It’s all about the package deal. What do these neighborhoods have to offer?

It is essential that transportation to the University is convenient, the area is safe, there are places to eat and shop nearby and, most of all, the rent is cheap.

The neighborhoods Pitt students typically choose are North, Central and South Oakland and Shadyside.

So, Pittsburgh neighborhoods, students want to know: “What do ya got?”

North Oakland:

The borders of North Oakland are North Bouquet Street, Centre Avenue, Melwood Avenue and Forbes Avenue. Three University shuttles run through North Oakland: the 10A, 20A and 20B.

Senior Brittany Maggiore said it takes her 17 minutes to get to the Cathedral of Learning on the shuttles. However, she said she still needed to bring her car for transportation to and from work.

“I used to park on the street until my car was sideswiped twice in one week. Now I rent a parking space, which is relatively reasonably priced,” she said.

Maggiore said the location is very convenient for her. Cab fare to the South Side is about $8 because Bigelow Boulevard is close. She also said that she likes that she lives near Shadyside because she often goes there for dinner and shopping.

As far as shopping goes in North Oakland, there is CVS Pharmacy, Giant Eagle and Wine and Spirits located on Centre Avenue. There is also Pizza Pronto, India Palace, New China Inn and various fast food restaurants. Lulu’s Noodles and Yum Wok Diner, Star of India, Starbucks and Villa Pizza are found on Craig Street.

Central and South Oakland:

Central and South Oakland encompass everything on the opposite side of Forbes Avenue from the University, and from South Bouquet Street to the Monongahela River. The University shuttle routes 30A, 30B and 30C transit through Central and South Oakland.

There is a wealth of restaurants, bars and stores on and close to Forbes Avenue. Some restaurants include Joe Mama’s, Fuel and Fuddle, Mad Mex, Panera, Quizno’s, Pamela’s, Primanti Brothers, the “O” and several fast-food restaurants. There are also several coffee shops, including Starbucks, Caribou Coffee and Crazy Mocha. Hemingway’s, Boomerang’s and Peter’s Pub are the bars located along Forbes Avenue.

Of-age students can pick up alcohol at Mellinger’s Beer Distributor and University Beer Center.

There is also Dave and Andy’s ice cream shop, as well as Antoon’s and Say Cheese pizza shops.

All of these businesses make Oakland a bustling center of activity.

“Because it’s close to a lot of the bars and restaurants, it’s always happening and lively Thursday through Saturday,” senior Rima Malik said.

Malik lived in North Oakland last year. She said that even though she likes her apartment’s location more now, it is much smaller.

Eckerd, Rite Aid and CVS Pharmacy are all in proximity, as well as clothing stores Rue 21 and Avalon Exchange.

Shadyside:

Shadyside is bordered by North Neville Street, Centre Avenue, Penn Avenue and Fifth Avenue. Although University shuttles do not run to Shadyside, Port Authority buses offer transportation to and from campus.

The Shadyside Business District centers on Walnut Street and contains a number of shops and restaurants. Some restaurants include Max ‘ Erma’s, China Palace, Boston Market, as well as the Elbow Room and several other bars. There is also a Starbucks and Bruegger’s Bagels.

Shopping on Walnut Street consists of Banana Republic, Gap, Victoria’s Secret, Apple, J. Crew and Coach stores. Whole Foods, Giant Eagle and Rite Aid are also located in Shadyside.

Senior Jeremy Mikush said he likes living in Shadyside because “it is aesthetically one of the most beautiful places in all of Pittsburgh.”

He also said it is convenient because there are a lot of buses that connect to different parts of the city.

Mikush lived in South Oakland last year and said it was easier to get to class and parties from there. He said he thinks the biggest problem with Oakland is the lack of grocery stores.

Squirrel Hill:

Squirrel Hill is bordered on the west by Oakland, on the north by Shadyside and Point Breeze, on the east by Frick Park and on the south by Greenfield. Port Authority shuttles provide transportation to campus.

The main commercial district is centered at Forbes Avenue and Murray Avenue. Some of the shops in this district include Ben and Jerry’s, Eat n’ Park, a shoe store, Giant Eagle and two movie theaters.

According to census tracks run by the Criminal Prevention/Criminal Analysis Department of the Zone 4 police station, by far the most burglaries, stolen vehicles and theft from automobiles took place in Central and South Oakland last year. Shadyside falls second in these categories. The most occurrences of aggravated assault are in North Oakland, and the only incidence of rape was in Central Oakland.

Generally speaking, South Oakland has the least expensive apartments overall, then Central Oakland, North Oakland and the most expensive are found in Shadyside.

If you don’t mind venturing farther from campus, some other neighborhoods worth checking out are the South Side, Bloomfield and Highland Park.