Don’t mess with what works for Pitt basketball

By ALAN SMODIC

Not too many people or so-called “experts” expected the Pitt men’s basketball team to be where… Not too many people or so-called “experts” expected the Pitt men’s basketball team to be where it stands at this point in the season.

A recent win over Louisville on the road has brought the underdog Panthers much national attention, though not many people – even in Pittsburgh – saw the game because of the Steelers’ playoff victory.

And still, the college basketball world wonders if the Panthers are, in fact, for real.

For the fans who have been there for Pitt since day one, there are plenty of other questions that go further into the team than the simple: Are they for real?

With that in mind, just as we did throughout the season with Pitt football, The Pitt News will now begin to answer your questions regarding head coach Jamie Dixon’s Panthers.

Q: Aaron Gray certainly has improved from last season; do you think it is now time for Levon Kendall to take that next step as a player?

A: First off, let me applaud Mr. Aaron Gray.

He’s already gotten plenty of credit for not only his off-season work, but for his play thus far into this season as well.

The work Gray put into in becoming a better basketball player for his team is just amazing. He is quickly becoming a force underneath in the Big East, and it will be fun to watch him battle with the best when the time comes.

As for Kendall, it’s tough to say.

On one end, Kendall does a little bit of everything right now and it’s just what the Panthers need in the starting lineup. On average, he’s putting out seven points, six rebounds, two assists, one steal and one block per game.

Of course, the other side is that we’ve all seen what he can do when he wants to score because of his play in Canada.

I believe when the time comes Kendall will make that jump, but as of now, he’s doing exactly what a good role player does – everything. And from time to time we’ll see the other Kendall emerge.

Q: Don’t you think it’s time that freshmen Levance Fields and Sam Young are inserted and left into the starting lineup?

A: No, I don’t.

Fields has started four games this year, but I like him coming off the bench. Plus, the team is doing well, so why mess with success?

I like Ron Ramon at the point. Even though he’s just a sophomore, he’s been there before, handled the offense and come up big when the team’s needed someone to step up.

With Carl Krauser, John DeGroat and Kendall, you have three seniors who offer leadership for the younger guys. Add in Gray and his junior status, and that’s one experienced lineup that understands what Dixon wants done on the court.

Fields and Young are still producing off the bench, and rather well, you could definitely say.

Their spark from the bench rejuvenates the Panthers’ offense when the opposition might not have the same firepower coming off its sideline.

Both Fields and Young have bright futures in a Pitt uniform, and a lesser role helps the team now and helps groom them for stardom down the road. They’re going to be fun to watch.

Q: When will Pitt lose its first game of the season?

A: Good question.

I’ll make a prediction, albeit probably a wrong one.

I don’t see them losing until they head to Connecticut on Jan. 31 for a matchup with the Huskies.

Will they get blown out by the Huskies? I don’t think so. Just at this point in the season I – along with many others, I’m sure – just feel that UConn is a better team than the Panthers.

But that game is two weeks away and a lot can happen between now and then. So don’t hold me to that, and an upset could be in store for coach Jim Calhoun and his Huskies.