Cornucopia of concerts arrives along with spring

By LINDSAY BLAZIN

Though the crocuses are still buried under a dusting of snow and there’s not yet a robin to be… Though the crocuses are still buried under a dusting of snow and there’s not yet a robin to be found, the spring concert season has arrived in Pittsburgh with an impressive and extensive list of upcoming events. Mr. Small’s Theatre, Rex Theatre and Club Zoo seem to be the hottest venues of the season, and they are offering up some enticing shows for the music-minded student.

Millvale’s Mr. Small’s Theatre boasts an unheard-of 19 events in the 28 days of February alone. The 650-person-capacity theater is located in the sanctuary of an old church building, creating an intimate setting while simultaneously causing fire-and-brimstone Christians to curse the devil that is rock ‘n’ roll. Bands have been known to stay after the show taking pictures and hanging out with fans, a privilege unique to a smaller venue.

Mae, last year’s Bigelow Bash opener, kicks off Mr. Small’s concert blitz on Jan. 31 with guests The Audition and Tokyo. Just a few days later, on Feb. 2, The Honorary Title and Limbeck will grace the same stage in what promises to be a great show.

Just over a week after that, another Bigelow Bash alum heads into Millvale. The Starting Line will perform on Feb. 11 with Copeland, Gatsby’s American Dream, Cartel and Suicide Pact. If The Starting Line continues its ascent to fame, this tour could be the last chance to catch the band in a smaller venue, so don’t miss it.

Finally, Mr. Small’s will play host to Saves the Day, Circa Survive and Moneen on April 5. It’s a rare occurrence when all of the bands on a given tour are worth seeing, but that’s the case with this show. And the timing couldn’t be better – the date falls in the middle of post-spring break monotony, but still manages to come a few weeks before finals’ stress. To check out these shows and everything else Mr. Small’s Fun House has to offer, visit www.mrsmalls.com.

While Millvale is clearly the most concert-rich neighborhood this season, the Strip District and the South Side are fighting it out for second place. On Feb. 18, Head Automatica pays a visit to the South Side’s Rex Theatre. With a capacity of just more than 400, The Rex practically defines the intimate venue.

And if footage found on Head Automatica’s Web site is an accurate indication of the band’s live performances, this is a concert that nobody can afford to miss. More information, including pricing and directions, can be found at www.rextheatre.com.

Finally, Club Zoo, an all-ages nightclub located in the heart of the Strip District, showcases two noteworthy tours this spring. First, on March 31, Relient K will stop by as part of its “Matt Hoopes Birthday Tour.” After gaining major mainstream recognition with the release of their latest album, MMHMM, the band embarks on a coast-to-coast excursion with special guests Maxeen and The Rocket Summer.

And finally, Club Zoo offers students a chance to kick off the last week of classes on April 17 as the Take Action Tour rolls into town. The tour, featuring Matchbook Romance, The Early November, Chiodos, Amber Pacific and Roses are Red, is sponsored by Hot Topic and features an impressively broad range of genres. Be sure to check out www.clubzoo.net/Events.htm for more information.

Please note that while these shows are some of the more highly anticipated attractions of the coming months, this is by no means a comprehensive list. Search the Web, look for flyers and, of course, keep an eye on The Pitt News for more information on the local concert scene.