Irish riding high into opener

By ALAN SMODIC

Eleven games into the season and the Pitt men’s basketball team sits at 11-0 – one of only… Eleven games into the season and the Pitt men’s basketball team sits at 11-0 – one of only eight remaining unbeaten teams in the NCAA.

But now the real season gets underway.

The Panthers open up Big East play in the new 16-team basketball conference, hosting the Notre Dame Fighting Irish tonight at 7 p.m. in the Petersen Events Center. The Irish enter the game with a win streak of their own at seven games.

“They are a team we are going to be battling within the standings,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said of the Irish. “So I’m looking forward to getting out there and seeing how we respond to this challenge.”

Notre Dame (9-2) will offer the Panthers their biggest challenge of the season, especially in the backcourt with its tandem of senior Chris Quinn and junior Colin Falls.

Quinn and Falls together average 25.9 points per game. They do so by shooting plenty from beyond the arc – 12 times per game between the two.

“Chris Quinn is just a guy who has been overlooked for years,” Dixon said of the point guard. “But his numbers are impressive and so is what he does with the ball and without the ball.”

The two will pose a threat to the Panther guards, who outside of senior Carl Krauser, are very young and inexperienced.

Underneath, the Fighting Irish offer 6-foot-11 senior Torin Francis to match up with the improved Aaron Gray. Francis, a starter since his freshman year at Notre Dame, ranks 10th all-time at Notre Dame in double-doubles.

Through 11 games this season, Francis is averaging 13.6 points and 9.5 rebounds per game.

“They have an inside presence that they have always seemed to have in Torin Francis,” Dixon said. “And he is even better this year than he was last year.”

Seeing more playing time recently for the Fighting Irish have been two freshmen, guard Kyle McAlarney and forward-center Luke Zeller. The two now average around 20 minutes per game as the top players from the bench.

Zeller, Mr. Indiana for basketball in high school last season, also stands at 6-foot-11 and will help Francis with the Panthers’ frontcourt, while McAlarney matches up with the young guards of Pitt.

For the Panthers, freshmen have played a similarly important role.

Sam Young, Levance Fields and Tyrell Biggs all see playing time throughout the deep Panther lineup. Young and Fields are the first two off the bench for Coach Dixon.

Young, who is coming off back-to-back 16-point games, which led to a Big East conference Rookie of the Week honor, now averages 8.7 points per game, ranking him third on the team. Fields adds six of his own while backing up Ronald Ramon at the point guard position.

Most of the Pitt offense, however, centers around Krauser. Since moving to the two-guard, Krauser has upped his scoring from previous years to lead the Panthers with 17.3 per game.

“He’s a great player,” Dixon said of Krauser. “It’s no coincidence that most of this program’s 20-win seasons coincide with his arrival as a redshirt freshman.

“His competitiveness is outstanding and I think he relishes and enjoys the opportunity to play here.”

The biggest addition to the Panthers’ lineup this season, though, has been the presence of their 7-footer in the post. Gray is averaging a double-double at 11.6 points and 10.2 rebounds per game for the Panthers.

Foul trouble, however, limited Gray’s performance in Pitt’s win over Wisconsin. He’ll look to bounce back with a challenge against Francis down low.

“When you get into foul trouble, it makes it difficult to do some things offensively. It forces you to change the way you play,” Dixon said of Gray.

Foul trouble is more of a concern to coach Mike Brey of the Fighting Irish, as the Panthers are showing more depth through this point in the season than they have in years past. The Panthers regularly use 10 players during a game, while the Irish mainly use eight.

Tonight’s game will be the 51st meeting between the two schools, with the series tied at 25. The Panthers have won four straight and five of the last six matchups.

Notre Dame’s last victory over Pitt came on Feb. 9, 2003, with a 66-64 victory in South Bend, Ind.

The Fighting Irish also look to end another losing streak to the Panthers. Notre Dame enters the game winless in three tries at the Petersen Events Center, including losing the last two by a combined five points.

“Notre Dame is a very good team, and we have had some good battles with them,” Dixon said.