EDITORIAL – Theater pulls “Brokeback Mountain”

By STAFF EDITORIAL

“Brokeback Mountain,” a movie that has been regarded as “simply one of the greatest love… “Brokeback Mountain,” a movie that has been regarded as “simply one of the greatest love stories in film history” by Joe Williams of the St. Louis Dispatch, and a film that has been nominated for seven Golden Globes, has one catch in the eyes of conservatives: It’s an “R” rated romance involving two men.

While the poignant, heartwarming film, set in the mountains of Wyoming, has been surprisingly well-received across the United States, some have taken action against the movie.

A Megaplex in Jordan Commons of Salt Lake City has mysteriously pulled the film, leaving no explanation for consumers, save a sign that said the movie wouldn’t be showing and the message, “I am sorry for the inconvenience.”

Interestingly enough, “Brokeback Mountain’s” distributor, Focus Features, said that Jordan Commons Megaplex backed out of their contract with only a few hours to spare. Focus Features did not mention anything about unsatisfactory equipment or any fault on their part that would lead to the Megaplex reneging on such short notice.

Some have speculated that the Megaplex may have buckled to conservative pressure from those against homosexuality and its portrayal.

While discrimination and personal bias saturate this controversy, the fact remains that the theater is well within its right to pull the movie. The truly beautiful thing about this right, however, is that they can exercise it in favor of a movie as well. And if we want people to have the right to show a controversial movie, they should also have the right not to show something.

It still remains to be seen why Jordan Commons Megaplex signed on to this contract. The fact that they pulled the movie has now garnered more publicity for the film than if they had never advertised showcasing it in the first place. And there we have it: capitalism at its finest.

Another issue worth looking into is how many movies starring homosexual characters have been shown in the theater. Although homosexuals in mainstream movies go unnoticed as comedians, hairstylists and interior decorators, their role as two men in love is viewed as problematic.

With the release of this movie has been the advent of tolerance and acceptance. The next step would be striving for diversity in media representation. One must realize that sexual preference doesn’t wed one to a personality or an occupation.

It’s a shame that the owners of Jordan Commons Megaplex, those invested in artistic expression, can’t recognize award-winning filmic presentations because prejudice has seemingly clouded their judgment.

Hopefully the rave reviews and five-star ratings of “Brokeback Mountain” will persuade consumers that the portrayal of homosexuals in this movie is just as noteworthy. And those in Utah who are denied this opportunity at Jordan Commons Megaplex should go elsewhere to patronize a business that equally supports all movies regardless of the sexual preference of their characters.