Student depression a prominent problem

By MARQUELLE MATTHEWS

Grades. Money. Life away from home. Social life. Sexual identity. Career choices.

These are… Grades. Money. Life away from home. Social life. Sexual identity. Career choices.

These are just some causes of depression for college students, and according to a 2005 survey by the American College Health Association, more than 40 percent of students reported they felt “so depressed it was difficult to function” at least one time last year.

Common symptoms of depression include chronic stress, low self-esteem, hormonal imbalances, feelings of helplessness or hopelessness and negative thought patterns.

Depression can last weeks, months or even years.

But now, university researchers – in collaboration with a team of high school teachers – have developed a new treatment that could help combat depression.

The treatment, Radio Frequency-powered Neural Stimulator, is a wireless device designed to treat patients suffering from severe and treatment-resistant depression. Patients labeled “treatment-resistant” do not respond to pills, talk or shock therapy.

The wireless device would require electrodes to be surgically implanted around the vagus nerve in the neck. The vagus nerve connects the brain to several major organs in the neck, thorax and abdomen.

The Food and Drug Administration has approved a wired version of the device – called vagus nerve stimulation (VNS). The device is inserted in the chest and the wire winds up the left side of the neck and wraps around the nerve.

Adverse side effects of VNS include hoarseness, coughing, discomfort, difficulty swallowing and possible nerve damage. However, patients taking anti-depressants and undergoing shock therapy to treat depression run the risk of memory impairment, difficulty sleeping, weight gain and sexual dysfunction.

VNS patients undergo surgery to insert a battery, and every three to eight years additional surgery is needed to change it. Unlike VNS, the wireless device does not require a second surgery for a battery; it would be worn on the collar instead.

Marlin Mickle, professor of electrical and computer engineering at Pitt, said this fact alone makes the wireless device more convenient and safer.

“The less material put in the patient, the less risk of infection,” Mickle said.

Other University researchers who worked on the project include associate professor of industrial and mechanical engineering Michael Lovell, professor of neurological surgery Robert Sclabassi and graduate student Steven Hackworth.

The team of high school teachers participated in the project through the National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Teachers program, which aims to collaborate K-12 teachers and college faculty in engineering research in order to bring technical innovation in the classroom.

The wireless device was not developed from scratch. Researchers used the deep brain stimulator used to treat Parkinson’s Disease. The stimulator was developed by Hackworth in his master’s program.

Hackworth said it would’ve been like “reinventing the wheel in one summer” if they would’ve attempted to start from nothing.

Marlin said that he is confident the FDA will approve the wireless device.

Some companies have already shown interest in licensing the treatment, according to Mickle.