Nobody carols anymore – sing along with your iTunes

By KAITLIN WINGARD

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me-a holiday song mix CD. Consider this… On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me-a holiday song mix CD. Consider this your veritable smorgasbord of rockin’ holiday classics performed by contemporary artists. Leave behind your snobbish indie attitudes and admit it – this is fine music.

Mariah Carey, “All I Want For Christmas Is You”

Mariah Carey recorded this tune when she still showed off her full vocal range and sang somewhat emotionally moving music. Every girl tries to imitate her impassioned love song in the car and in the shower. Celebrate love and what Mariah Carey once was. No Glitter. No Emancipation of Mimi. Just old-school Mariah goodness.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”

The Boss and company recorded this tune live some years back. We get to hear a usually somewhat gritty Springsteen get excited for Santa’s arrival. His pre-song chatter is priceless – he laughs while trying to get the audience excited, asking if they’ve been bad or good. But the E Street Band really puts the star on the tree when sax player Clarence Clemons echoes “You better be good for goodness’ sake” in his baritone voice.

John Lennon, “Happy Christmas (War is Over)”

Christmas is good. John Lennon is infinitely great. Mix the two together and include a peaceful message about ending a war and voila! a hopeful Christmas song. After the 25th anniversary of Lennon’s death and during a frustrating war, this Christmas song is appropriate: “War is over/If you want it.”

Band Aid, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”

The ’80s was a decade for awareness. We first learned about the destruction of AIDS and the poverty that still exists in many countries. Many artists took it upon themselves to continue this awareness. Band Aid included members from U2, Duran Duran and Culture Club, as well as Paul McCartney, David Bowie, George Michael, Sting, Bob Geldof, Phil Collins, Paul Young and many others.

“Do They Know It’s Christmas?” reminds us all that the holidays are a time to be thankful for all that we have. The lyrics describe the grave conditions in third-world countries as each group of artists sings. The climax of the song comes from U2’s Bono to remind us not to become apathetic toward important causes: “Well tonight thank God it’s them instead of you.”

Bing Crosby and David Bowie “Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth”

Magic was made when Bing Crosby filmed his annual Christmas Special and invited David Bowie to join him. The song begins as the pair sing “Little Drummer Boy.” Then Bowie breaks off with his own rendition of “Peace on Earth.” The melodies meld together as the two harmonize and then join again in the same melody – two amazing performances in one.