The Best of Shopping

By Pitt News Staff

Best hair salon | Best place to buy textbooks | Best cell phone vendor | Best place to… Best hair salon | Best place to buy textbooks | Best cell phone vendor | Best place to get film developed | Best florist | Best grocery store | Best drug store/pharmacy | Best tattoo/piercing place | Best place to buy CDs | Best place to rent movies

Best hair salon: Puccini Runner-up: Philip Pelusi

Last December, I walked out of a local hair salon in tears. My request for “slight layers” was somehow translated into “choppy mess.” Vehemently opposed to sporting what looked like Elizabeth Taylor’s wig in “Cleopatra,” I contacted Puccini in a panic. The employee ordered me to come in at once, and a team of three stylists set to work examining the disaster zone. 45 minutes of corrective chopping later, I had the best haircut of my life. Puccini’s talented stylists won’t rush through your cut, and their prices are more than reasonable. Puccini’s services includes tanning, and the shop offers a wide variety of hair products.

Kristen DiLemmo, Assistant A’E Editor

Best place to buy textbooks: Got Used Runner-up: The Book Center

You stand in line for what seems like hours, arms aching under the weight of the mountains of textbooks required for this semester’s classes. “Why didn’t I go to the book store last week and avoid this madness?” you ask yourself. At last it’s your turn to give your credit card whiplash at the register. As the cashier rings up your stash of gently used books you watch with anticipation. Will I have enough money? Why does that Spanish book cost SO much?

What’s this? You gaze at your receipt and realize that your books were $50 less than the amount budgeted to you by mom and pop. As you leave the store, looking back at the line of students, you smile a knowing smile because you can afford that burrito after all.

With their sexy yellow plastic bags and their hip advertising campaigns, Got Used is the “IT” place to buy your books in Oakland. They specialize in “carrying the most used textbooks at the cheapest price.” That’s a motto that every cash-conscience college student can appreciate. Gracias, Got Used.

Sarah Bingler, staff writer

topBest cell phone vendor: Verizon Runner-up: Cingular

“Can you hear me now?”

“About 11:30.”

“No. I said, can you hear me now?”

“Yeah, we used to climb that tree when we were kids.”

“Forget it, dude.”

“Tomorrow is great for me. Bye!”

If this is what your cell phone conversations usually sound like, then you’re obviously not using Verizon. They’ve got the best coverage around, and Darth Vader as their pitch man. So, if you’re having trouble sending those camera-phone pictures of you bent over the porch railing of a frat house to mom and dad back home, switch over to the Dark Side, er, I mean Verizon.

D. Clark Denison, for The Pitt News

topBest place to get film developed: CVS Runner-up: Eckerd

Maybe it’s the one-hour option. Maybe it’s the excellent customer service. Maybe it’s the prices. Maybe it’s the photo quality. Maybe it’s the convenient hours and location on Forbes Avenue. Or maybe it’s that they’re not judgmental about those late-night photos from last weekend’s party. Whatever it is, CVS is the best spot in Oakland to get your film developed.

Jessica Lear, Editor in Chief

topBest florist: Gida’s Flowers Runner-up: Alex’s

Your girlfriend is mad at you. Your roommate broke her arm. It’s Valentine’s Day. You failed that chemistry exam and you really need something pretty to brighten your day.

There are plenty of reasons to buy flowers, and plenty of reasons to get them from Gida’s Flowers on Forbes Avenue.

They carry many exotic flowers, but you can still get the old standard – a dozen red roses – for that special someone. Plus, they have a website, www.gidasflowers.com, so you can send your girlfriend flowers without even going into the store to pick them out. Despite the fact that it is most likely less than three blocks from your dorm room, why would you bother to go outside if you can do it on the Internet?

Annie Tubbs, contributing editor

topBest grocery store: Giant Eagle Runner-up: Wal-Mart

It’s kinda like family. You don’t have much of a choice in the matter, but you love ’em anyway. Whether you head to North Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, the Waterfront or elsewhere, it’s always Giant Eagle.

Jessica Lear, Editor in Chief

topBest drug store/pharmacy: CVS Pharmacy Runner-up: Rite-Aid

Wander down Forbes Avenue just off campus, away from pricey pharmacies like Rite-Aid and Eckerd, and you’ll find CVS Pharmacy, a little slice of heaven right in Oakland. A college student can find anything she needs in CVS Pharmacy, from groceries to makeup to hair products. Oh yeah, they’ll fill your prescriptions, too.

It’s always amazing what you can find at CVS Pharmacy. Besides groceries, it always has a seasonal section where you can find your Halloween gear or your Christmas decorations. And they’re always sure to stock plenty of Pitt memorabilia. The prices are the best thing about CVS Pharmacy; not only are they already the most reasonable pharmacy in Oakland, but you can save money by using your Extra Care card every time you shop.

Kaitlin Wingard, staff writer

topBest tattoo/piercing place: Hot Rod Piercing Co. Runner-up: Monster Tattoo

Got a little extra cash to blow? Or maybe you just lost a bet. Either way, Hot Rod Piercing Co. is Pitt’s favorite place to get a crazy, sexy body piercing.

Located on Oakland Ave. between Forbes and Fifth, Hot Rod sits above Lefty’s Tattoo Parlor. The first thing you’ll notice about Hot Rod is the overwhelming sterility. The wood flooring and neat displays of body jewelry add to Hot Rod’s sterling reputation.

The staff at Hot Rod has been trained through apprenticeships, piercing people under the watchful eye of an expert. Their talented staff can pierce just about any body part that you want.

With a piercing from Hot Rod, you’ll have something to show everyone at Thanksgiving. Mom will be so proud!

Kaitlin Wingard, staff writer

topBest place to buy CDs: CD Warehouse Runner-up: Best Buy

If your Tuesday schedule is as hectic as mine, you don’t have time to leave Oakland to buy your favorite artist’s new album. But CD Warehouse offers reasonably priced new CDs and used CDs. From rap to rock to R’B, CD Warehouse stocks a vast selection of new and old music.

If you’re looking for a hard-to-find album, you can sort through their collection of new and used CDs. You can even sell back some of your old, embarrassing albums. Whatever your music need, CD Warehouse can fulfill it.

Kaitlin Wingard, staff writer

topBest place to rent movies: Blockbuster Runner-up: Not Blockbuster

If hanging out in Hillman’s basement with a bag of popcorn is getting you down, try renting a movie from Blockbuster. It only costs a few dollars and you can take the movie with you and view it anywhere you like. It’s right on Forbes across from the old abandoned castle. They have a wide selection of movies new and old, so don’t complain that there’s nothing good to watch. If you’re really stuck on what to rent, here’s a fun game I like to play: 1) Pick a movie starring Kevin Bacon, 2) Look at the box and find another actor you recognize 3) Rent one of their movies. This way, you don’t end up renting a movie that stars Kevin Bacon. Everybody wins!

D. Clark Denison, staff photographer

top