New dorm will be finished by spring

By NANA AMA SARFO

When freshman Erin Schaefer moved into her Sutherland Hall dorm room in August, she couldn’t… When freshman Erin Schaefer moved into her Sutherland Hall dorm room in August, she couldn’t help but notice the growing commotion across the street.

This commotion has lasted all semester.

“I normally wake up to the sound of yelling and drilling,” Schaefer said. “But it’s not a major issue. It’s nice to see that they’re building a new dorm across the street,” she added.

The upper campus housing project, which broke ground on May 15, 2005, is slated for completion around early June 2006 according to Jack Jones, project superintendent for P.J. Dick, the construction company responsible for the new residence hall.

More than 500 students will occupy the building next fall in doubles as well as suites for three and five people

Designed by Perkins Eastman, the architectural group that also designed Pennsylvania Hall, the dorm will contain all the standard amenities: study rooms, lounges, laundry and vending areas and, like Pennsylvania Hall, a cafe area.

“We designed it to have a structure somewhat similar to that of PA Hall,” said project architect Mark Barnett.

So far, work has progressed almost uninterrupted at the construction site.

“We’ve only had a few weather setbacks with the recent cold weather and rain,” said carpenter foreman Vincent Rieland. “Also, before we could start building the infrastructure we had to do some mine grouting,” he said.

Because of the number of mine shafts under the land, it was necessary to partially fill the shafts that will be directly underneath the building with concrete before beginning full construction.

According to a Feb. 28, 2005 University memo, the $33.2 million project is a part of an ongoing plan to increase and diversify both the campus environment and the student body.

This plan pleases senior Jessica Spears, who lives on the west side of Sutherland Hall.

“I like the fact that upper campus is getting more leverage,” Spears said. “And, initially I thought it was a good idea that upper campus will have one more dorm,” she said. “However, I would like to see another cafeteria and computer lab added to the building. I don’t think Sutherland’s facilities are large enough to accommodate three dorms.”

Despite these issues, Spears, as well as Schaefer, anticipates the new dorm’s opening.

“As much as I love Sutherland, I wouldn’t mind moving into that dorm next year,” Schaefer said.