Basketball begins as fall sports come to an end

By ERIN CASTELLANO

Men’s Basketball – The Panthers will host Slippery Rock this Saturday at the Petersen… Men’s Basketball – The Panthers will host Slippery Rock this Saturday at the Petersen Events Center at 7:30 p.m. in an exhibition game. This will be the first time Pitt faces The Rock.

Football – After their bye this past weekend, the Panthers (4-4 overall, 3-1 Big East) will be on the road this week when they head to Louisville, Ky., to take on the Cardinals (5-2 overall, 1-2 Big East) on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Pitt has not played Louisville since 1994, when the Cardinals beat the Panthers 33-29.

Swimming and Diving – After the men’s and women’s teams registered wins against both St. Bonaventure and Syracuse last weekend, the Panthers will host the Notre Dame Fighting Irish this Friday at 4 p.m. at Trees Pool. Last year, the Fighting Irish beat the men’s swimming and diving team, ending Pitt’s 26-meet winning streak against Big East opponents, which dated back to Halloween of 1998. The women’s swimming and diving team also lost to Notre Dame last year by a score of 172-128.

Volleyball – The Panthers swept Seton Hall at home last weekend, 3-0. Senior Ashley White had a career-best 15 kills and hit .500. This weekend the Panthers have back-to-back home matches. First, Pitt (14-9 season, 7-3 Big East) will host DePaul on Saturday at 2 p.m. The Panthers have played DePaul three times and won each time. On Sunday the Panthers will face No. 7 Notre Dame (20-1 season, 10-0 Big East), also at 2 p.m. Last year, the Panthers dropped a three-game decision to Notre Dame.