Concert features weird description, unique style

By RYAN MURRAY

Many would undoubtedly wonder what music described as “A spontaneous, American-roots form of… Many would undoubtedly wonder what music described as “A spontaneous, American-roots form of very personal, prayerful Hasidic music, by way of avant-garde jazz” would sound like. Those who crowded into the Carnegie Lecture Hall at 8 p.m. Saturday know the answer to this, thanks to a performance by the Andy Statman Trio.

The audience, which contained a relatively low number of students, was treated to hours of Statman’s music. The eerily haunting sounds from both Statman’s clarinet and mandolin provide the focal point for music that seems to be a mix of jazz, klezmer and bluegrass music. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica Online, klezmer music originates from a Yiddish word meaning “vessel of song,” and is “traditional music played by professional musicians in the Jewish ghettos of Eastern Europe.”

The trio, featuring bassist Jim Whitney and drummer Larry Eagle, in addition to front man Statman, was brought to Pittsburgh by the organization Calliope. Calliope, the Pittsburgh Folk Music Society, is a local group dedicated to bringing roots-based and traditional music to the Pittsburgh area.

According to their Web site, “Since 1976, Calliope has been a nonprofit, educational, and presenting organization that promotes and preserves traditional and contemporary folk music.” More information on the program, in addition to future concerts, is available online at www.calliopehouse.org.

In addition to the Statman Trio, Calliope also brought in the opening act for the show, featuring percussionist Jim DiSpirito and multi-instrumentalist Jeff Berman. The duo performed using their unique brand of improvisation blended together with their interpretations of American folk music.

Berman is an instructor for the Calliope School, where he instructs percussion, drums, vibraphone and lap dulcimer. DiSpirito is a former Rusted Root percussionist and a three-time Emmy Award nominee. This genre-defying type of music, combined with the awe-inspiring drumming of DiSpirito, provided the perfect opening to the concert.

Statman attempted to keep the audience amused during breaks between songs by joking about everything from the lack of rest stops on Pennsylvania highways to drawings on album covers and the always joke-worthy state of New Jersey. His humor left many of the older audience members rolling with laughter, but left many of the younger listeners scratching their heads.

There were also times when he missed the mark completely with his humor. For example, not remembering what the Cleveland football team was named in an attempt at humor proved that those who know nothing about sports should not tell sports jokes.

Ill-conceived jokes aside, when Statman was actually playing music, he had most of the audience in awe of his musical abilities. Constantly varying the speed and volume of the music, it was hard for any listener to become bored with the trio. While playing a piece, they constantly broke into improvisation to liven up the song and showcase different band members’ musical talents.

Thanks to a local organization dedicated to bringing traditional music to the Pittsburgh area, the Andy Statman Trio gave the audience a chance to see and hear something that not many people have the opportunity to experience. And the next time one of those audience members is asked what “a spontaneous, American-roots form of very personal, prayerful Hasidic music, by way of avant-garde jazz” sounds like, he will have the answer.