Hillman Library place to be seen, not to be studious

By ANJALI NAIR

If there’s one place on campus you probably won’t see me too often, it’s the library. That’s… If there’s one place on campus you probably won’t see me too often, it’s the library. That’s not because I don’t study, it’s because I despise the library.

Don’t get me wrong, the library itself is great. With laptop rentals, the Cup and Chaucer for your caffeine fix and books galore, Hillman is everything a library should be. It’s what goes on inside that really irks me.

Hillman Library, which is supposed to serve as a haven for learning, studying and researching, has become a social hot spot, so much so that students affectionately refer to it as Club Hillman. I have yet to go to the library without seeing at least a handful of people I know, which really says something, because I’m by no means Miss Popular.

It’s not that I don’t like people, or seeing people, for that matter, but if I’m at the library, it’s because I have something to do. I don’t want to make awkward conversation with the kid in my philosophy class, and I don’t want to hear about how someone’s roommate peed their pants over the weekend or some other stupid story.

The main point of going to the library should be to do work, not chill with your buddies. I understand the first two floors are dedicated to group study, but when there’s eight people squeezed in at a table and only three people have a book open, I highly doubt there’s much studying going on.

I’m certainly in no position to tell other students how to spend their time, but there should be better places than Club Hillman to socially congregate. A friend of mine told me that last semester during finals week, she saw a group of girls stake their claim at a table on the first floor. They proceeded to lay out a tablecloth and put a vase with a flower on top. The only guess I have is that they were trying to make it seem a little more comforting, more like home. It’s a cute thought, except for one thing: Club Hillman is nobody’s home.

Just the other day I experienced a typical Club Hillman episode. I had to read some material that was on reserve, and I figured I’d do some work in the computer lab before I left. I was trying to read but found myself distracted by two girls sitting next to me. One was sitting on the other’s lap and they were giggling and carrying about like they were at a slumber party or something.

I don’t “shhh” people. If someone is being loud when they’re supposed to be quiet, I look at them – repeatedly – hoping they’ll get the hint. These girls got no such hint. After 10 agonizing minutes, one of the girls finally left. Shortly after, there were a couple of other people being noisy, but not nearly as loud as the two girls were before, and the remaining girl had the nerve to turn to them and give them a nasty look.

When I do have to go to the library I try to hide in the upper floors, but even then, nothing is guaranteed. Last year, as I was minding my own business in my cubicle, I witnessed a couple break up. One minute they were sitting on the couch talking quietly, and the next thing I know the girl was crying, shrieking, “How could you do this to me?” I will never understand why that guy broke up with his girlfriend at the library. Maybe he thought if he did it at the library, she wouldn’t cause a scene. How ironic.

I’ve even listened to two guys, who were sitting behind me, do nothing but make comments about girls that walked by for 45 minutes. If they have that kind of time to waste, by all means, good for them, but we shouldn’t allow ourselves to be fooled when we read their away messages and they say, “Doing work in the library for the rest of the night.”

Just how long will it take for students to start going to Club Hillman to hang out on Friday nights? Only time can answer that question. So for now, you’ll most likely see me studying in the Cathedral, Benedum Hall or some other quiet place. Unless, of course, I want to socialize and just pretend like I’m studying. In that case, you can find me in the Club.

Want to know which cubicle is Anjali’s favorite? E-mail her at [email protected].