Drama melts icy grudges

By PATRICIA McNEILL

“Frozen”

Through Nov. 13

Directed by Melissa Martin

Rieder Photography Studios… “Frozen”

Through Nov. 13

Directed by Melissa Martin

Rieder Photography Studios

412-363-5847

Ever wonder if you would be able to forgive someone if they, let’s say, murdered someone close to you?

Barebones Productions explores this theme of forgiveness with their latest show “Frozen” by Bryony Lavery. The Pittsburgh premiere follows the story of a murderer (Patrick Jordan), his psychologist (Helena Ruoti) and the mother of one of his victims (Susan McGregor-Laine).

When Nancy’s 10-year-old daughter Rhona disappears in an English suburb, she withdraws, unable to cope. Years later, she meets Agnetha, an American who is compiling interviews for her dissertation that explores whether or not serial killing is forgivable. Nancy is forced to revisit her experience, and finally learns the truth of what happened to Rhona.

The show is directed by Pittsburgh native Melissa Martin. She has both written and directed productions in New York, Chicago, Toronto and Pittsburgh, but those in the ‘Burgh will recognize her from her prolific film, “The Bread, My Sweet,” which she wrote, directed and produced.

Patrick Jordan, a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, is playing the role of detached murderer Ralph Ian Wantage. A founder of Barebones Productions, Jordan is also the artistic director.

At the heart of any Barebones Production is the idea that less is more. Like the name suggests, the company works to produce shows that take a minimalist approach, but have a powerful impact on audiences.

“Frozen” promises to be a chilling drama that makes us question our own capacity for remorse, forgiveness and release.