Pitt’s homecoming can learn from HBCUs

By BRANDON EDMONDS

That’s right, it’s that time of the year again kiddies, homecoming is here. At schools around… That’s right, it’s that time of the year again kiddies, homecoming is here. At schools around the country students are planning weeklong extravaganzas filled with everything from parties to step shows to all other sorts of fun-filled entertainment.

I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying Pitt’s homecoming two out of my three years here, and while both instances were enjoyable, my heart still yearned for something more. While I commend the Black Action Society and the Pitt Program Council for all their hard work during the homecoming planning and execution stages, I’ve always felt like I was missing out on something.

The problem is that I have too many friends that attend Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU). I’ve heard all the stories about Serena Williams strutting her generously blessed self across the runway at Howard, seen footage of last year’s Kanye West concert at Clark Atlanta University, and have just recently received news of the star-studded lineup, which includes Lil’ Jon, Ciara and my favorite rapper at the moment, Young Jeezy, performing at North Carolina A’T this year.

As a senior, I’ll be graduating in April and will have never attended one of these ridiculously amazing events as an undergrad. Sure, Pitt homecoming is great, I mean we’ve had famous people here too- I think.

The comedy show has been amazing both times I had the pleasure of attending, and the parties I remember from sophomore year – I strongly discourage heavy drinking homecoming weekend-it inhibits memory – were amazing with Krayzie Bone actually performing at Rock Jungle in 2003.

But what disappoints me is that I’ve been planning to attend Howard’s homecoming for four years in a row, and each time I’ve been disappointed. And this year, as my last opportunity quickly approaches, it has become very evident that I’ll miss out yet again.

HBCU’s have made homecomings more than just an opportunity for alumni to come back to their respective campuses and not look out of place; they transformed them into a full-out celebration of their university and culture. Black schools employ the hottest African-American entertainers at the time to participate in their comedy shows and concerts.

Many of them also throw some of the biggest parties that the cities they are located in have ever seen. These events are by no means insignificant on any level, and predominantly white institutions should take note. Howard’s homecoming has attracted positive national attention in the media and Atlanta University Center (AUC), a collection of southern HBCU’s located in the southwestern section of Atlanta, annually shuts down.

But let’s get down to the nitty gritty. Homecoming isn’t about black or white; it’s about showing school pride and celebrating the university you attend. Furthermore, I believe that a large percentage of the white population on Pitt’s campus would love to participate in many of the events traditionally found on historically black colleges.

Imagine Lil’ Wayne performing on Bigelow, or Jill Scott singing and reading poetry in the Quad. Or Mike Epps performing at the comedy show or P. Diddy throwing a party in the strip. It may sound crazy to some of you, but I believe we could pull it off.

The University of Pittsburgh is a well-known and well-respected university. If we can attract the likes of John Kerry and Bon Jovi, I’m sure we could attract Lil’ Scrappy or at least one member of 112.

Homecoming should be one of the most memorable events in a student’s college experience. Pitt students shouldn’t have to travel to Washington, D.C., to attend Howard’s Homecoming or fly to Atlanta to go see what’s poppin’ in the AUC.

We can do it if we all dedicate ourselves to becoming more involved in the homecoming process. Go sign up for the Pitt Program Council next time you’re block shopping in the Union. And while you are at it, run up to the sixth floor and talk to the people in the BAS office as well. Get involved in your campus and see what you can do to attract the acts and events that you want to see.

We talk all too often about what Pitt does not or cannot offer its black community or anyone in any community that appreciates hip-hop culture. Lets put an end to that now, so that as a graduate of this prestigious university I can look forward to coming back year after year, gray haired with cane in hand, ready to bounce to Ciara or getting crunk with Young Jeezy.

E-mail Brandon your favorite Young Jeezy lyrics at [email protected]. Yeeeeeaaah!