Pitt Field House gets new facilities

By ALAN SMODIC

Pitt wrestling coach Rande Stottlemyer can finally see some changes.

Since 1979 – his first… Pitt wrestling coach Rande Stottlemyer can finally see some changes.

Since 1979 – his first year on the job – Stottlemyer has conducted practices and weight room activities at the Fitzgerald Field House in a facility that dated back to the 1950s.

Not anymore, though.

For the first time since 1951, when the Field House was originally built, a few renovations took place.

On Friday, the University held an official ribbon-cutting ceremony that marked the opening of a brand new Olympic weight room and wrestling facility located inside the 54-year-old Field House.

The improvements come as another part of Pitt Athletics Director Jeff Long’s “Quest for Excellence” program.

The “Quest for Excellence” program is designed to create funding for top-level training rooms and increase the number of endowed scholarships for student-athletes at Pitt.

“Quest for Excellence” is a $45 million campaign that’s just one part of Pitt’s $1 billion program, “Discovering a World of Possibilities.”

“We’ve really gone from a one to a 10,” Stottlemyer said. “I think it exceeds expectations when people walk in and see what’s been done.”

Designed by Long, senior associate athletics director Carol Sprague and head strength and conditioning coach Kim King, the new weight room contains almost 10,000 pounds of free weights and nearly doubles the size of the previous room.

The previous facility handled about 30 athletes at a time, but now 60 to 70 athletes can train in the room without a problem. The weight room will now serve over 300 student-athletes.

King also designed new custom racks, which make it possible to train six athletes at a time – an update that will help with Pitt’s larger teams, as it cuts down on the time needed to train because of increased space and functionality.

“It makes a world of difference in getting the athletes through here,” King said. “There’s no waiting in line to lift.”

Stottlemyer’s new wrestling room contains all new floor and wall mats. In addition to the mats, the room also features a new ventilation system and lighting, as well as a video and recruitment room.

A cardio area on a balcony above the surface was also added.

“We’ve created a better atmosphere here,” King said. “[The athletes] want to lift. They want to work out.”

The University, as well as Stottlemyer, expects the brand new state-of-the-art facilities to boost morale among the student-athletes and help continue to bring top-tier talent to Pitt.

Stottlemyer and his Panther wrestling team enter the upcoming season ranked as high as No. 18 in pre-season polls. Their first match is scheduled for Nov. 15 on the road against Bloomsburg.

Pitt finished 8-7 overall and 4-2 in the Eastern Wrestling League last season, and crowned one All-American at the NCAA Tournament, 133-pounder Drew Headlee.