Football to host Syracuse

By ERIN CASTELLANO

Cross Country – The Panthers concluded their regular season at the Penn State… Cross Country – The Panthers concluded their regular season at the Penn State Invitational last Saturday. Despite the fact that the men’s team competed with six runners instead of seven because of injuries, they managed to finish in 14th place. The women’s team came in 23rd place. The Panthers will next be competing for the Big East Championship in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, N.Y., on Friday, Oct. 28.

Football – After Pitt’s 31-17 victory over South Florida last Saturday, the Panthers (3-4 overall, 2-1 Big East) will host Syracuse (1-5, 0-3) in Pitt’s homecoming game next Saturday at noon. When Pitt met Syracuse last year, the Panthers were hoping for a chance at the Big East title and a Bowl Championship Series bowl berth. Instead, Syracuse moved into second place behind West Virginia when Pitt gave up a 38-31 decision to the Orange in double overtime. It was Syracuse’s loss to Temple and win over Boston College later in the season, however, that gave Pitt the tiebreakers it needed to get to the Fiesta Bowl.

Men’s Soccer – After losing to Canisius 1-0 last week, Pitt’s game against No. 6 Connecticut was postponed because of heavy rain that left the field in unplayable condition. It is rescheduled for Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Connecticut. Since conference games take priority over nonconference ones when there are scheduling conflicts, the Robert Morris game that was supposed to take place on Wednesday is cancelled and will not be rescheduled. Pitt will then host Notre Dame on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Founders Field. The Fighting Irish have defeated Pitt the past two years.

Women’s Soccer – Pitt gathered its second Big East win of the season last Friday when the Panthers topped the Hoyas 2-1. Their success, however, did not carry into Sunday, when they lost to Villanova 1-0. Pitt (3-9-3 overall, 2-5-2 Big East) will be on the road this weekend when they travel to Providence (4-8-2, 1-5-2) on Friday. Last year Pitt defeated the Friars 1-0 and goalkeeper Jamie Pelusi had her third shutout of the season. The Panthers will continue their road trip on Sunday when they face Connecticut (12-3-1, 8-1). Pitt has faced the Huskies five times in the last eight years and has yet to beat them.

Swimming and Diving – The Blue team won the annual Blue-Gold intrasquad scrimmage last Friday, in which Jason Miller, the team’s captain, broke two of his own meet records. The Panthers will have a week off before they travel to Olean, N.Y., to take on St. Bonaventure on Friday, Oct. 28 at 10:30 a.m. Both Pitt’s men and women’s teams have defeated St. Bonaventure for the last three years.

Tennis – The Panthers will travel to West Point, N.Y., for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional Championship, which starts this Friday and ends next Tuesday.

Volleyball – Pitt landed its 35th straight win against West Virginia last Friday, remaining unbeaten against the Mountaineers. The Panthers (13-7 overall, 6-1 Big East) have a big match this Saturday in Louisville, Ky., at 2 p.m. against the Cardinals (18-0 overall, 6-0 Big East). Last year the Panthers concluded their regular season when the Cardinals swept Pitt 3-0. After that match, Pitt will venture to Cincinnati for a matchup with the Bearcats (12-7, 4-2) on Sunday.