Berenato’s bunch begins season with scrimmage

By DAVE SIEGAL

Fans of Pitt basketball got a glimpse of the Panther women’s basketball team first. Following… Fans of Pitt basketball got a glimpse of the Panther women’s basketball team first. Following autographs and the team introduction, the Lady Panthers were divided into blue and gold teams and played a 20-minute scrimmage, compared to the men’s 40-minute scrimmage.

The Blue team beat the Gold team, 35-13, in a physically contested game that left the teams combining for 29 percent shooting from the field. However, the game wasn’t about a verdict, but rather about progress from the Panthers. Every player, except sophomore Marcedes Walker, junior Mallorie Winn (both Blue) and junior Brooke Hughes (Gold) switched teams as a means to build team chemistry.

“I thought the event was a big success,” head coach Agnus Berenato said on www.pittsburghpanthers.com. “I think the fans were excited to see our new team in action and I’m looking forward to getting the season underway.”

The individual leaders were Vika Sholokhova, with 13 points and eight rebounds total, and Walker, with 12 points and 10 boards.

Berenato is optimistic about this year’s team as she adds Winn, who transferred from and played under, Berenato at Georgia Tech. The junior guard, who says that Berenato “brings out the best in her,” brings another scoring threat to the Panthers.

Combine her perimeter play with the inside work of Walker, a reigning Big East All-Freshman Team selection, and Berenato has a tandem she is very excited about. Also, she stressed at the team’s Media Day earlier in the month that being strong up the middle is imperative.

Pitt begins exhibition play Nov. 11, when they host California (Pa.) at the Petersen Events Center. Last season, the team finished 13-15, which ended with a loss to West Virginia in the Big East tournament.