A closer look

By MATT SORTINO

The Game — In the head-coaching debut of Dave Wannstedt, the 23rd-ranked Pitt Panthers… The Game — In the head-coaching debut of Dave Wannstedt, the 23rd-ranked Pitt Panthers open their season by welcoming the Notre Dame Fighting Irish to Heinz Field Saturday night for a split nationally televised game on ABC. The game also marks the debut of Irish head coach Charlie Weis.

Staying True — Both Wannstedt and Weis have strong ties to their new programs. Wannstedt graduated from Pitt in 1974, just four years before Weis received his degree from Notre Dame.

Far From Even — Despite beating the Irish a year ago in South Bend, Ind., the Panthers trail drastically in the all-time series. The Irish are 43-18-1 against the Panthers, with 24 of those wins coming in Pittsburgh.

No Blanks — The Panthers currently hold the longest streak in the Big East conference for most games without being shut out. It has been almost 10 years and 102 games since Pitt failed to score in a ball game.

Tyler Heisman? — Quarterback Tyler Palko is coming off one of the finest seasons in Pitt history. Palko finished 2004 with over 3,000 yards, 24 touchdowns and just seven interceptions. Palko is considered by some as a dark horse for the Heisman Trophy, the award given annually to the nation’s top player.

In Good Company — When Rashad Jennings takes the field Saturday night, he will be just the fourth true freshman to ever start a season-opener for the Panthers at tailback. Among the other three backs was Heisman Trophy Winner Tony Dorsett.

Sharp as a Blade — Pitt linebacker H.B. Blades had an outstanding season a year ago, leading the Panthers with 108 tackles and earning First Team All-Big East honors. This year, Blades is a candidate for the Butkus Award, given each year to the nation’s top linebacker.

Easy Open — The Panthers have won 25 of their last 30 season-opening games, including their last eight in a row. The Panthers last opened with the Irish in back-to-back seasons in the ’70s, beating them in 1976 and falling victim to them in 1977.