Students can still vote in election

By ADAM FLEMING

Students who want to vote in the upcoming Pittsburgh mayoral election have less than two weeks… Students who want to vote in the upcoming Pittsburgh mayoral election have less than two weeks remaining to register.

“Residents who wish to vote in the Nov. 8 Municipal Election must be registered by Tuesday, Oct. 11,” according to an e-mail from Kevin Evanto, the director of communications for the office of Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato. “Registered voters who have moved or changed their name or party affiliation must also notify the elections division by the Oct. 11 deadline.”

Students can register in person by going to the Office of the Registration Commission in Room 609 of the County Office Building, which is at 542 Forbes Ave., Downtown. The office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

On Oct. 11 it will remain open until 5 p.m.

Students can also register by mail. The forms are available at all Carnegie Libraries, Giant Eagle grocery stores, Armed Service recruitment centers and post offices.

Evanto wrote that registration-by-mail forms must be postmarked by Oct. 11.

Students can get voter registration forms and more information online by going to www.county.allegheny.pa.us and checking out the elections division home page.

November’s election for mayor will pit Democrat Bob O’Connor against Republican Joe Weinroth. O’Connor is the favorite, as registered Democrats outnumber Republicans five to one in Pittsburgh.

For more information on how to register, or to check on your registration status, call the elections division at (412) 350-4510.