Film from the ’40s features slick direction

By MIKE OPFERMAN

Life with Father

Directed By: Michael Curtiz

Starring: William Powell, Irene Dunne,… Life with Father

Directed By: Michael Curtiz

Starring: William Powell, Irene Dunne, Elizabeth Taylor, Jimmy Lydon

Nominated For: Oscars: Best Actor (William Powell), Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Musical Score

Michael Curtiz’s name is almost synonymous with his best film, “Casablanca” (1942), but this great director was involved in other projects as well, including the semi-classic “The Adventures of Robin Hood” (1938) and the little-known “Life with Father” (1947). Although it’s no “Casablanca,” “Life with Father” is perhaps one of the best cute, light comedies ever made.

“Life with Father” is essentially a story about the way men and women act. The story is told by focusing on one family: a gruff and domineering, but somehow lovable father, a clever and scheming, but somehow innocent mother and their children. The father of this family is difficult to live with because he is outrageously demanding, even though it must be said that his demands are perfectly logical. He is not one to show affection or understanding.

Nevertheless, during the course of the story he realizes how much he loves his wife and softens up. Though the change is believable, it remains significant enough that the phrase “life with father” changes from one said with a burdensome sigh to one said with a contented smile.

The film is a heartwarming story in its own way, but this is not its main selling point. What is more noteworthy is the slick direction of Michael Curtiz. His most noticeably effective technique occurs at the beginning of the film when introducing the father. Instead of putting him on screen and letting him speak for himself, as most directors would do, Curtiz introduces him gradually.

First we see the servants’ attitudes toward him, then his family’s, then his reputation through recounting of events, then his booming voice, then his silhouette, then finally him. Curtiz manages to develop this character into a star role almost in the same way that Francis Ford Coppola develops Col. Kurtz in “Apocalypse Now” (1979), but Curtiz, amazingly enough, uses only a few minutes to do it.

Even in the scenes that have more straightforward and less gimmicky direction, Curtiz’s work shines. The film’s story is actually fairly complex and convoluted since there are quite a few characters, each of whom has his or her own story, but everything remains crystal clear, and there is no room for misunderstanding or confusion. This is an indication that facts are presented clearly and concisely, and that the film is streamlined without being incomplete.

Also noteworthy is the Oscar-nominated performance of William Powell as the father. Powell must be funny in the role but still play a somewhat complex character with real feelings. He must play a character who is practically the antagonist of the film, but who must remain lovable in spite of his harshness. He accomplishes all of this beautifully.

Not everyone will enjoy “Life with Father.” It is not action-packed, but rather has a character-driven story. Furthermore, the characters who drive the story are not jewel thieves or robots; they are just ordinary (or perhaps slightly exaggerated) people dealing with ordinary interpersonal relationships.

The film uses humor to keep the audience’s attention, but its main objective is to teach the audience, not solely to entertain them. In addition, it is evident that great care went into the production of “Life with Father.” Aside from its astoundingly good direction, all of the little things are done right in this film, making it well worth watching.