When you’re sick of the sun, check out these films

By MIKE OPFERMAN

Summer may be the time for picnics in the park and basking in the sun, but it is also the… Summer may be the time for picnics in the park and basking in the sun, but it is also the season for blockbuster movies. Studios typically save the releases that they expect to be the most popular for the season of sun. Here are a few of this year’s July and August releases:

“Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” July 15.

Director Tim Burton, known for fairly dark cult classics like “BeetleJuice” (1988), “Batman” (1989), “Edward Scissorhands” (1990) and “Ed Wood” (1994), is bringing this remake of 1971’s “Willy Wonka ‘ the Chocolate Factory” to theaters. Burton’s creepy filmmaking style should give a new flare to the faintly scary kid’s classic, as should doubly Oscar nominated leading man Johnny Depp, who used Marilyn Manson as inspiration for his portrayal of Willy Wonka.

The film is expected to be different in many ways from the original since writer John August based the screenplay on the Roald Dahl book and had never seen the 1971 film until after his work was completed.

While it is likely that it will not be for everyone, Tim Burton always makes an interesting film with a distinct artistry to it. It is likely that “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” will be worth your time.

“The Island,” July 22.

This sci-fi action thriller by Michael Bay, director of “Bad Boys” (1995), “The Rock” (1996), “Armageddon” (1998) and “Pearl Harbor” (2001), stars Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson. In the film, their characters discover that their 21st century utopian world is not at all that it seems — and neither are they. After the two discover their futuristic world’s secret, they must flee for their lives from the powers that be.

This film has an interesting premise. It has a great deal of potential to be good, but it is likely that Michael Bay will turn it into a typical action movie. It will be more interesting conceptually than his other films, but probably not much better.

“Bad News Bears, “July 22.

This remake of the 1976 movie of the same name is a comedy about a grizzled, dipsomaniacal coach (Billy Bob Thornton) who tries to coach a team of misfit Little Leaguers to victory. It comes from Richard Linklater, director of “Dazed and Confused” (1993) and “The School of Rock” (2003).

It is very likely that the reader has seen this movie a hundred times before. It seems like it will be the same as every other sports movie (e.g. “The Mighty Ducks” (1992)).

“The Devil’s Rejects, “July 22.

Sequel to musician/director Rob Zombie’s only other film, “House of 1000 Corpses” (2003), “The Devil’s Rejects” tells the story of a murderous family as they travel the country on a killing spree while fleeing from the police.

While it is doubtful there will be any quality to this picture, it has a certain esoteric appeal. If you are in the mood for some mindless violence, rent “House of 1000 Corpses” before July 22. This film is likely to be very similar.

“Stealth,” July 29.

Rob Cohen, director of “xXx” (2002) and “The Fast and the Furious” (2001), will deliver another action blockbuster this summer. The big-budget “Stealth” stars Josh Lucas, Jessica Biel and Jamie Foxx as three Navy pilots. When they test a futuristic computerized jet fighter, it obtains a mind of its own and must be stopped before it starts World War III.

“Stealth” will be a very typical action-packed summer movie.

“The Dukes of Hazzard,” August 5.

The 1979-1985 cult classic TV series “The Dukes of Hazzard” will become a movie in August, thanks to director Jay Chandrasekhar, a little-known director who made “Super Troopers” (2001) and “Club Dread” (2004). Seann William Scott (better known as Stifler), Johnny Knoxville and Jessica Simpson will play the Dukes. They will be squaring off against Boss Hogg (Burt Reynolds) and Sheriff Coltrane (Joe Don Baker).

It seems that this film will be almost completely plotless. It is likely that only fans of the TV series and those completely distracted by Jessica Simpson will enjoy it.

“Broken Flowers,” August 5.

Jim Jarmusch’s latest film stars Bill Murray as a middle-age man who must visit every girlfriend he has ever had in an effort to find his long lost son. Jarmusch is known for interesting and unusual films like “Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai” (1999), “Dead Man” (1995), “Night on Earth” (1991), “Down by Law” (1986) and “Coffee and Cigarettes” (2003).

Murray, Jarmusch and Focus Films all have a reputation for making high-quality and unusual films. “Broken Flowers” will probably follow in kind.