Pitt announces plan to replace roof

By SARAH BINGLER

Three years after construction ended on the Petersen Events Center, Pitt announced that it… Three years after construction ended on the Petersen Events Center, Pitt announced that it would have to replace the building’s roof.

According to a statement from the University, more than 200 holes in the domed roof of the Pete have caused leaks on its north and south sides.

The statement went on to say that the repairs would be finished before the start of the basketball season.

Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs Robert Hill said that information regarding the replacement process would be released after a Wednesday meeting of the property and facilities committee of Pitt’s board of trustees if the committee passes a resolution to act.

The Pete’s general manager, Scott Michaels, said that the repairs will not affect the inside of the Pete and that it will continue to house shows and events.

He added that the repairs would not compromise the use of any facilities inside the Pete, including the gym.

Prior to the roof replacement announcement, the University had already expressed disappointment with the Pete by way of a lawsuit.

Last December, Pitt and the Pennsylvania Department of General Services filed a suit against the architects and roofing contractors hired to build the Petersen Events Center in the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas.

In the lawsuit, Pitt alleged that construction and design problems were to blame for subsequent repairs made to the building since its completion.

Pitt provided a list of allegedly necessary repairs, including wiring, escalators, kitchen space, revolving doors, removable stairs, temperature control, pipe failures and a sprinkler system.

In February, the Pete’s architects filed a counterclaim, alleging that fault lies with Pitt and the state for problems with the Pete. The architects blamed repeated requests for changes and added features made by the University for the building’s problems.

A representative from G’W Roofing of Eighty Four — the company awarded the original contract for the roof — said that his company had no comment.

Neither Pitt’s original suit nor the countersuit has been resolved.

Students exercising in the Pete’s gym Monday said that they haven’t noticed any problems with the building.

Senior Krystal MacIntyre has worked out at the Pete since she transferred to Pitt last fall.

“I really haven’t noticed anything different,” she said.

Alex Corll, a junior, wasn’t even aware that there were problems with the facility.

“I had no idea this was going on,” he said.

Fitness staff member Sarah Hunt has been employed at the Pete since the fall of 2004.

“There’s been leaks,” Hunt said, “but that was in the fall.”

Hunt said the leaks were mainly in the concourse areas and did not affect the gym.