Red storm pitching too much for Panthers in Monday game

By MATT SORTINO

After winning the first two games and clinching at least the series victory, the St. John’s… After winning the first two games and clinching at least the series victory, the St. John’s Red Storm continued to put on a pitching clinic in game three of their Big East series with the Panthers (13-11, 1-6) behind the arm of senior Jim Wladyka.

Wladyka (4-2), a Rutherford, N.J., native, pitched 7 1/3 strong innings, allowing no earned runs, five hits and two walks in striking out six and leading the Red Storm (13-9, 4-1) to a 4-2 victory and series sweep.

“Their pitching was dominant all series long,” Jordano said. “It was very impressive. But again, we had our chances and we just didn’t get it done.”

Trailing 1-0 in the fifth, the Panthers got on the board with unearned runs to take the lead. Freshman Sean Conley led the inning off with a single and advanced to second when catcher Jeff Stevens was hit by a pitch.

Dan Williams’ attempted sacrifice bunt was popped into the air, giving the Red Storm an out and Wladyka a chance to get out of the jam. Third baseman Michael Megale followed with an infield single to load the bases for the Panthers’ leading hitter, Ben Copeland.

Copeland made solid contact, but his line drive was right at Red Storm second baseman Sam Deluca. However, DeLuca then threw the ball away, allowing both Conley and Stevens to score to give the Panthers the lead.

The Red Storm came back to tie it with a run in the sixth off of Panther starter Paul Nardozzi. With one out, Greg Thomson doubled down the right field line and then scored on a single up the middle by Chris Joachim.

“Pitching wise has been a strength for us this year,” Jordano said. “But we seem to be giving up runs at critical times in the game.”

St. John’s got the lead back in the home half of the seventh when Will Vogl reached on Stevens’ error and then scored on DeLuca’s triple down the right-field line. Jarod Hickle sent a long fly ball to center, scoring DeLuca and providing the Red Storm bullpen with some insurance.

Walks to Conley and Jim Negrych in the ninth put the tying runners on base and after they advanced to second and third on Stevens’ groundout, Williams grounded out to end the game.

“First and second with one out, and we just couldn’t do anything,” Jordano said. “I think we’re pressing, everyone is working hard, but we just need to do more.”

Negrych led the Panthers with two hits while Nardozzi (3-3) took the loss on the mound for the Panthers.

Pitt is back in action today at Blair County Ballpark, the home of the Altoona Curve, as they take on the Penn State Nittany Lions. First pitch is at 7 p.m.

“They got a lot of momentum right now with a new coach and new enthusiasm,” Jordano said of Penn State. “But we feel we’ve established ourselves as one of the most competitive, if not the most competitive program in the state.”