Patiently waiting on release of new album

By KAITLIN WINGARD

As soon as I have some more time (i.e. after finals) I’m going to make a beautiful paper chain… As soon as I have some more time (i.e. after finals) I’m going to make a beautiful paper chain to count down to June 21. My favorite artist, Billy Corgan, is releasing his solo album that day! I’m so excited that I wake up in the middle of the night with a smile on my face. I even walk with an extra spring in my step. I can also be seen skipping around the office in which I work. If you’ve got a favorite artist, you know the feeling. In only two months, I’ll have new music to marvel at.

And what better way to celebrate that new release than waking up bright and early to head to your favorite record store, pick up the CD, and race home to listen to the music you’ve read so much about while you look through the coveted liner notes?

There’s a certain mystique to that fateful Tuesday when your favorite artist reveals his or her innermost thoughts and creativity for the world to hear. And there’s a certain series of events any crazy fan takes part in to find every last detail about the new tracks.

Back in high school, when the Smashing Pumpkins were still together, I was denied every chance to attend a midnight album release party and be the first to hear the breathtaking new music. So I sulked on those Monday nights and settled for a trip to the record store Tuesday after school. I felt like I was the worst fan because I had to wait a few extra hours to buy the album — like somehow the folks at Circuit City would yank the album off the shelves before I got there.

So when I found out about Corgan’s solo album a few months back, I realized I had the opportunity to become a crazed fan once again. I immediately began planning my strategy. I’d have to start scouring the Internet for every tiny bit of information.

Corgan created his own Web site to inform his fans about the album’s progress. His little megabyte of cyberspace became my haven for weeks, but when Billy started lagging on updates, I went crazy.

So I turned to Rolling Stone. They reported that Corgan entered the studio, and a few weeks later, it was reported that he was helping out fellow former Pumpkin Jimmy Chamberlin on his solo album. That’s it? I expected the nation’s premier music magazine to report on Corgan’s every move. What’s the name of the album? Who’s producing it? Throw me a bone, Rolling Stone.

Finally, one day when I logged on to billycorgan.com, I hit the jackpot. Corgan had posted a picture of him and his cat standing in front of a mixing board in the studio. The score was Web site 1, Rolling Stone 0.

Lately, however, the posts on Corgan’s Web site have increased, and just today I noticed a smidge of gossip about Corgan at a Hollywood party in Rolling Stone. Not exactly what I was looking for, but at least I know he’s still alive.

I’m beginning to wonder if I’m taking this album release too far. Or is it natural for me to go nuts at every sign that my favorite whiney artist plucks a string on his guitar?

I guess the true test of your favorite artist’s new album is the inescapable leaked music. Corgan is almost done mixing his album TheFutureEmbrace (thanks, billycorgan.com), and I know the music’s going to be out there soon. Do I dare download those precious tunes?

I know they’ll be calling my name, but I’m going to try and exercise the self control I’ve worked so hard to acquire in all my 21 years.

Some piece of the magic is lost when you download those drug-like files on your cable Internet connection. I’m going to try to take part in the thrilling delight of ripping that annoying plastic from the CD case on June 21, then digging my nails into that even more annoying sticker seal that they adhere to each case.

I’m doing everything I can to learn the latest scoop on Billy Corgan’s new album, just short of traveling to his house and donning camouflage and face paint. I guess the magazines and Web sites will have to tide me over until I can make that ceremonial trip to Best Buy.

It’s going to be a test of my will to keep my mouse arrow away from those files. I’ll try to focus my energy on the fabulous paper chain that counts down to June 21.

Distract Kaitlin from any Web site that may host leaked music. E-mail her at [email protected].