Slugfest ends with Pitt on top, Copeland ends slump

By ALAN SMODIC

A three-run seventh inning, highlighted by a two-run home run off the bat of Dan Ford,… A three-run seventh inning, highlighted by a two-run home run off the bat of Dan Ford, regained a one-run lead for Pitt’s baseball team that it used to hold off the Akron Zips, 17-15, in a slugfest Tuesday.

Junior outfielder Ben Copeland led the Pitt offense, knocking in a career-high seven runs with two hits, while Shaun Butler worked four innings, allowing just one run, to pick up the win in relief.

“Copeland is our go-to guy,” Pitt head coach Joe Jordano said. “He did an outstanding job.”

After finding itself down 1-0 in the first inning, Pitt scored the next 12 runs over a span of three innings to take a commanding 11-run lead over the Zips.

Copeland placed Pitt’s first three runs on the scoreboard in the top of the second inning when he delivered a three-run homer to put the Panthers up 3-1 early in the game.

“I was hitting the ball, but right at people,” Copeland said of a slight slump he was in. “You just got to play the game and things are going to happen.”

The offense for Pitt remained hot through the third and fourth innings, adding five and four runs, respectively, to build up an early 11-run lead.

Ford and Jeff Stevens both singled in runs in the fourth, while David Cline added a two-run double of his own before Copeland notched two more of his seven RBIs with a single in the fifth inning.

Pitt’s sizable lead, however, didn’t last long, as the Akron offense ignited for 13 runs of its own over the fourth, fifth and sixth innings to take a two-run lead into the seventh inning.

Akron’s offensive outburst forced Pitt into four pitching changes total before Butler settled the defense down and brought the Panthers along through the final innings.

Jeff Barnyak started on the hill for the Panthers, but got knocked out in the fourth inning after giving up his third run and handed the game to Chad Baker, who recorded only one out during his brief stint.

Eli Friedman and Joseph Lloyd combined to pitch an inning of relief as well, but gave up a total of eight runs on five hits to the Zips.

“It’s tough. You have to be very careful with your pitching staff,” Jordano said on using his bullpen between conference games.

Butler entered the game in the sixth inning and ended Akron’s surge, stopping its lead from advancing after scoring its 14th run for a two-run advantage.

The Panthers’ three runs in the seventh inning gave them a lead they wouldn’t relinquish, despite giving up one more run before the game’s end.

Second baseman Jim Negrych connected for his team-leading sixth home run of the season in the eighth inning, while Justin Cicatello added an extra insurance run in the ninth on a single that plated Cline for Pitt’s 17th and final run of the game.

“We just got to keep doing the same things every day that we feel are important,” Jordano said. “Taking care of our at bats, playing clean baseball and throwing three pitches for strikes on the mound, and if we can do that, we’re going to have the opportunity to win a lot of games.”

Derek Stanfield suffered the loss for the Zips, allowing the three runs in the seventh inning in his one and one-third innings pitched. He struck out two Pitt batters and didn’t allow any walks.

Editor’s note: The Panthers resumed action yesterday with a 9-2 against cross-town rival Duquesne in a game played at PNC Park. Look for the story in tomorrow’s edition of The Pitt News.