Local boys and chaps from far away

By BEN GREINER

Take a look around and you’ll see unknowns and rock gods; kids from the Cleveland-Pittsburgh… Take a look around and you’ll see unknowns and rock gods; kids from the Cleveland-Pittsburgh area and chaps from Scotland. No, you’re not watching a Jerry Springer “Who My Baby Daddy?” after-school special, you’re reading a list of the best albums of 2004. And like security guard Steve, these discs pack a punch.

5. Cherry Monroe — Cherry Monroe

Take some kids from Cleveland and Pittsburgh, add a desire to rock out, and you’ve got Cherry Monroe, a rock-punk band that is gaining notoriety faster than Kirstie Alley is gaining weight. These 20-somethings, who were signed by the Cleveland label Rust Records in 2004, are the real deal. Recently, Universal signed them to a two-record deal and now plans to nationally re-release their album in April. If you were one of the lucky 5,000 to procure a first-pressing edition, then listen to “At the Stars,” “Satellites” and “Down.”

4. The Hives — Tyrannosaurus Hives

The five Swedes did it again in 2004 — released an album full of blazing guitars, gritty lyrics and fat bass lines — all while wearing matching suits. That’s right, kids, the Hives returned with what is probably their best disc to date this past year and, led by singer Howlin’ Pele Almqvist, still rock those dope, matching suits. Want to get pumped up? Crank the volume to max and play “See Through Head” or “No Pun Intended.” Both tracks will kick your ass and leave you happy that they did.

3. Green Day — American Idiot

With the arrival of American Idiot, Green Day proclaimed they were all grown up, again. That, and they hate Dubya. Those are strong words from a band that was barely old enough to vote when its 1994 mega-hit, Dookie, was released. Regardless of age and politics, Green Day put out a great album in Idiot. Besides the radio-released “American Idiot” and “Boulevard of Broken Dreams,” Idiot contains tracks that are true artwork — most notably, the two nine-minute-plus ballads that are “Jesus of Suburbia” and “Homecoming.” Another little ditty that’ll get your foot tapping is the melodic “Holiday.”

2. Franz Ferdinand — Franz Ferdinand

I thought I hated Franz Ferdinand at one point. “Take Me Out” was beginning to get old, when all of a sudden, something happened — it came in the mail to my house. (I had forgotten to tell the BMG Music Service that I didn’t want my featured selection for the month.) “Oh well,” I thought. “Neither snow nor rain, nor heat nor gloom of night prevented the mailman from bringing me this album. I might as well try it.”

After just one listen, I was hooked. Tracks like “Jacqueline” and “Come on Home” saved this album for me. Come on, Scotland — send us more!

1. Action Action — Don’t Cut Your Fabric to this Year’s Fashion

Who? Exactly.

I didn’t really know who Action Action was until the end of the summer, when a friend of mine introduced me to this band. Created from remnants of the Reunion Show and Count the Stars, Action Action inked a deal with Victory records and released its debut album. While this disc is the most eclectic of the five listed here, it’s obviously the best. Action Action’s music is a strange mix of ’80s trance and modern rock/emo. Sure, it takes a while to get used to, but this album is worth listening to from end to end.

Allow me to make mention of one final thought: While this list is arbitrary and purely my opinion, I believe these discs are the cream of crop from 2004. If this year was any indication, 2005 should be a great year for music, so when you’re rushing out to your favorite music store to buy that must-have CD, take care of yourselves, and each other.