Music in 2004 highlighted by dance rock

By AMY WILLIAMS

This year it was hard to pick a top-five-albums list. It wasn’t because we lacked good music,… This year it was hard to pick a top-five-albums list. It wasn’t because we lacked good music, but because for the first time in a long time, narrowing it down was the hard part. This year was a return to good, fun and passionate rock that has been lacking the past couple of years. If you don’t think so, then I am here to present to you the good stuff you may have missed out on in 2004.

5. Jimmy Eat World — Futures

Jimmy Eat World always impresses me; every album released leaves me satisfied. Although this may not catch on as much as their self-titled release, it’s equally as good, if not better. They made this one a little edgier, which added a slightly different feel to it. Let’s hope that they keep the albums coming.

4. Midtown — Forget What You Know

A drastic improvement over Midtown’s previous releases, Forget What You Know is the best pop/punk/emo release of the year. Their moody lyrics and fast-paced guitars are produced with such fervor that it brings them beyond the screamo label.

3. Modest Mouse — Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Not to use a cliche, but this was the “feel good album of the year.” Why? Because listening to this album makes you just flat-out feel good. Modest Mouse has a style all its own. With their sharp deliveries and catchy beats, it’s about time the world caught on to them. Modest Mouse is a band that left its mark this year in a cut-and-paste industry.

2. Straylight Run — Straylight Run

The much-anticipated release of former Taking Back Sunday member John Nolan exposes the songwriting talent that Taking Back Sunday may have been hiding. With the sappy innocence of “Existentialism on Prom Night” to the poppy “Tool Sheds and Hot Tubs,” every melody and lyric is crafted with a passion that will linger with you and keep you hooked. Nolan took a turn for the better, and hopefully he will never look back.

1. Garden State: The Motion Picture Soundtrack.

From the movie of the year comes the album of the year. It’s an eclectic compilation of songs by indie and popular artists alike. Some standouts include the surprising cover of The Postal Service’s “Such Great Heights” by Iron and Wine. It converts an already amazing song into something more sincere and heartfelt. Another standout is the airy and poppy anthem of optimism by Frou Frou, “Let Go,” which makes you feel infinite after you listen to it. Other artists such as Coldplay and The Shins helped Zach Braff to create the perfect mix tape for coming of age.

Songs of 2004

When it comes to the best songs of 2004, I completely jumped on the dance-rock bandwagon. I enjoy good beats and catchy lyrics that produce fun-filled, guitar-driven rock. Throw in a few songs with lyrical depth and musical complexity, and you have my top five songs of 2004.

5. Interpol — “Slow Hands”

Interpol just missed my top five albums of the year, but this song will not stay out of my top five songs. Interpol’s dry delivery during this song intrigued me, while the beats, a mix between old ’80s new wave and steady punk rock, kept me hooked.

4. Franz Ferdinand — “Take Me Out”

Dance rock made a huge comeback this year, and Franz Ferdinand was one of the leaders of the pack. I just couldn’t get enough of this song. Sounding almost like two completely different songs, its unstoppable beats make it one of the best songs to hit the airwaves this year.

3. The Killers — “Somebody Told Me”

The Killers really made a breakthrough this year, and as another addition to the dance-rock craze, I accepted it with open arms. With the exception of the line about a guy looking like his ex-girlfriend, this song was danceable, fun and sexy.

2. Snow Patrol — “Run”

Slowly beginning to pick up the credibility they deserve, Snow Patrol produced the most endearing and touching song of the year. It’s reminiscent of Coldplay’s “Yellow,” but more melancholy and painstakingly honest. From the first time I heard it, it had a hold on me.

1. Modest Mouse — “Float On”

This song comes on the radio while I am in my car, and no matter what mood I am in, I find myself smiling and dancing along to it. It’s an all-too-real message backed by one of the catchiest beats of the year. This was definitely my favorite song of 2004 by far.