Rivals set for clash

By MATT SORTINO

The Teams — The No. 18 Pittsburgh Panthers (13-3, 3-2 Big East) welcome No. 4 Syracuse… The Teams — The No. 18 Pittsburgh Panthers (13-3, 3-2 Big East) welcome No. 4 Syracuse (20-1, 7-0) to the Petersen Events Center Saturday for the first time since the Orange handed the Panthers their first-ever loss in the new arena in February 2004. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

The Coaches — Jaime Dixon is in his second year at the helm of the Panthers after leading them to a 31-5 record and being named the Big East Coach of the Year in 2003. Jim Boeheim is in his 29th season with the Orange, having led the team to an all-time record of 676-234.

Last Meeting — The Orange became the first team to ever beat the Panthers in the Petersen Events Center with a 49-46 overtime victory a year ago. Earlier that season, the Panthers beat the Orange in the Carrier Dome, 66-45.

The Stars –Carl Krauser leads the Panthers with 15.7 points per game, while Chevon Troutman (14.1) and Chris Taft (13.8) also lead the team in scoring. The Orange is paced by Hakim Warrick (20.1) and Gerry McNamara (15.5) for scoring.

Coming Off Wins — The Panthers are coming off a 76-66 come-from-behind victory over No. 16 Connecticut on the road last Saturday night. Troutman led the Panthers with 29 points and 12 rebounds in the win. The Orange survived a big scare Monday night in New Jersey, coming from 18 points down to beat Rutgers, 86-84. Warrick and McNamara each scored 21 points to lead the Orange comeback.

Player of the Week — Warrick was named Big East Co-Player of the Week after the Panthers beat West Virginia and Georgetown during the week of January 17. The senior scored 25 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in the win over the Hoyas and followed it up with 22 points and 13 rebounds against the Mountaineers.

Earning Respect — The Orange were picked by the Big East’s coaches to win the conference title before the season started. The Panthers have won the last three Big East regular season championships.

Almost There — In each of the last three seasons, the Panthers have only lost three conference games. But this year, Pitt has already dropped two and is in danger of losing four for the first time since the 2000-2001 season.