A closer look…

By MATT SORTINO

The Teams: The Pittsburgh Panthers (7-3 overall, 4-2 Big East) travel to the Sunshine… The Teams: The Pittsburgh Panthers (7-3 overall, 4-2 Big East) travel to the Sunshine State for a make-up game with the South Florida Bulls (4-6) that was originally scheduled for September 6. The game is a national broadcast on ESPN2 with kickoff set for 11 a.m.

The Coaches: 2004 Big East Conference Coach of the Year Walt Harris is 51-43 in eight seasons at Pitt. Jim Leavitt has maintained a 55-32 record in eight years at the helm of South Florida.

Last Meeting: In the fall of 2001, the Bulls came into Heinz Field and defeated the Panthers, 35-26, in the first and only meeting of the two teams.

What’s at Stake: The already Co-Big East Conference Champion Panthers look to secure a Bowl Championship Series bid with a win over the Bulls.

Saying Farewell: There is small coincidence in Saturday’s game in that the Bulls are playing their last game ever as a member of Conference USA. Next year they will join the Panthers in the Big East.

Crazy Eights: A win Saturday would secure a third straight eight-win season for the Panthers under coach Harris.

Down to the Wire: Five of the Panthers’ seven victories have involved either a fourth-quarter rally or overtime. They beat Furman and Boston College in overtime and rallied in the final quarter to beat Temple, Notre Dame and West Virginia.

Taking Over: Since the first snap of the Rutgers game, Panthers quarterback Tyler Palko has taken over the last four contests. In the last four games, he has thrown for 1,159 yards, 11 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

Elite Company: Greg Lee became just the fifth the Panther to ever gain 1,000 yards receiving when he racked up 124 yards against West Virginia on Thanksgiving night. Lee currently leads the Big East in receiving yards per game.

Quick to the Top: In his first year with the Bulls after transferring from junior college, running back Andre Hall has already broken the school’s single-season rushing total with 1,272 yards.