Krauser, Graves assist teammates in blowout win against Duquesne

By JIMMY JOHNSONSports Editor

There were four Panthers who finished with double-digits in scoring against Duquesne Saturday… There were four Panthers who finished with double-digits in scoring against Duquesne Saturday night. Pitt’s offense spread the ball around, getting everyone involved. Eight players recorded at least one assist in the game.

But that was just Pitt basketball as usual.

“There’s no surprise with what Pitt’s going to do,” Duquesne head coach Danny Nee said. “They just do it very efficiently, and they do it very well. Period.”

Both Antonio Graves and Carl Krauser finished with six assists.

For Graves, the total number was a career high. He also scored 12 points in the game, which tied his career high. After a slow start, bothered by an injured ankle, Graves has settled himself into a starting role.

Starting opposite him is Krauser, who ended the night with 15 points. The players complement each other well.

Krauser’s six assists pushed his season total to 31 and showed that he always has his eyes open, looking for a teammate.

“I wanted to get those guys open shots,” he said.

He and Graves concurred that it helps to have big guys like Chevon Troutman and Chris Taft working the paint because they can either take passes and score or dish it outside.

“We have great passers inside,” Krauser said, speaking of all the forwards and centers. “When they recognize the double-team, they can kick it out.”

Both of Graves’ three-pointers in the game came on plays like that. A double-team was recognized, and Graves stood alone at the three-point line. After accepting the pass, he was able to calmly stroke in a three with no defender in his way.

“Passing was very good,” head coach Jamie Dixon said. “We continued to get great shots throughout the game.”

Krauser also benefited from interior passing throughout the game.

“It’s a big relief knowing that you got guys out there that can pass as good as those guys can down low,” he said.

Graves also enjoys tossing the ball into the paint to his big guys.

“Getting the ball to Chris and Chevy and all our big guys, I just know it’s automatic assists,” he said. “I love getting them the ball.”

Taft and Troutman accounted for 31 of Pitt’s 87 points scored against Duquesne.

Some of their points came on fast breaks, which Krauser spoke on briefly. He explained that he and the team want to get the big men running the court.

And they have been, with success.

After Ronald Ramon stole the ball away from Duquesne, he tossed the ball down to Troutman who opted to slam-dunk the ball to give Pitt a 10-point lead late in the first half.

In the second half, Taft scored on a play that was a mirror image to Troutman’s first-half dunk. In transition, he ran out ahead of the play, and behind the defenders he accepted a long pass from Krauser. Taft took a couple steps and jumped toward the basket, slam-dunking the ball and hanging on the rim for emphasis.

“Getting tired doing it,” Taft jokingly said about running the court.

Fatigue may be a worry for those who watch all the forwards and centers running more, but that’s where Pitt’s depth comes in to play. With Mark McCarroll, Aaron Gray, Levon Kendall and Dante Milligan all able to come off the bench and contribute, Pitt is able to run the court.

“We got a lot of fresh legs,” Taft said.